How to activate Swiss pass on cross-border train?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 February 2012 at 7:05:40 #804897

Hi, I will be travelling from Milan to Zermatt thru Domodossola and I have ordered a swiss pass. Providing swiss pass is valid from Domodossola onwards, I have purchased a ticket from Milan to Domodossola, EC 50. My question now is how do I validate my swiss pass on this route?

I have read different comments re swiss pass activation. Some people say can only activate at swiss train station and some people say the pass can be activated on the cross-border train by a swiss train conductor? Is there a offical site that I can confirm this?

Is Swiss Travel System the authority on this? Quote from the FAQ on http://www.swisstravelsystem.ch

16) How do I activate my Swiss Pass? (applies to Open Date Passes only)You can validate the Swiss Pass together with your Pass at any larger railway station throughout Switzerland. Please note that you need to validate your Pass before making your first journey. If you are travelling to Switzerland by train the conductor will activate your Swiss Pass.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    15 February 2012 at 10:12:48 #834802

Yes, Swiss Travel System is the authority. So, as you can see, the conductor can validate your Pass at the border (while you are on the train)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 February 2012 at 19:54:44 #834803

Thanks Kim! Just want to make sure i won’t get into trouble if I just stay on train 🙂

The travel agent which I purchased the Swiss Pass from insist that I have to activate the pass at a swiss train station before use…

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    15 February 2012 at 20:01:46 #834804

I think that used to be true but no longer is. The idea of making visitors jump off the train and run into the station finally became just silly, I guess.

• The thread ‘How to activate Swiss pass on cross-border train?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.