How to address schedule issue on Gornergrat train?

• HappyMak
    Participant
    17 posts
    23 June 2018 at 22:12:16 #816849

We are a family of four visiting Switzerland for ten days since 17 June. So far so good. Trains are always on schedule and reliable so we can make the travelling smooth and happy. However on today, we encountered something frustrating that we are asking for your help to pass the message to relevant parties for their investigation and rectify it as soon as you can.

We rode the Gonnergrat train at 17.24. We then got off at the Rotenboden wishing to walk the Riffelseeweg so to take pictures on Matterhorn in front of a small lake. Soon afterwards at around 18.42, we waited at Rotenboden station so to catch the 1852 train to the final station Gornergrat for sightseeing. Unfortunately, we needed to wait until 19.57 that the train arrived. After around 7 minutes, the train arrived. Time was definitely running short. The driver said we could only have two minutes to look around at gornergrat. Hence, our plan to have sightseeing at Gornergrat was vanished. In between time intervals, we were fooled by the digital board telling us the ever changing schedule

I wrote this to forum in hopes of Gornergratbahn would get this message and address this issue as early as possible!

Thank you and regards,

Gordon MAK

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 June 2018 at 15:10:57 #889255

Hi Gordon Mak,

I’m sorry to hear the train schedule changed on you like that. It is hard to say what happened – very strange.

Do note that we are not affiliated with any train company in Switzerland and simply a forum to help tourists plan their trip to Switzerland as best we can. So no one from the Gornergrat Bahn will be on our website to read your message.

I’d advise you to email them directly to see if they can tell you what happened: railcenter@gornergrat .ch
    I’m sure they will appreciate the feedback and will do their best to not have that happen in the future.

HappyMak
    Participant
    17 posts
    24 June 2018 at 18:40:16 #889256

Hi Lucas,

Thank you for your advice. Have sent out the grievance email to the address you suggested.

Gordon Mak

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 June 2018 at 0:16:00 #889257

I will be interested to see what you get from the GGB.

I would say that you were leaving it quite late to go uphill on the Gornergratbahn, at a time of day when the train is only every hour, and the last train up to Gornergrat is the one that calls at Rotenboden at 19.52. The previous train due at Rotenboden at 18.52, was apparently missing, but that is only one train missing perhaps out of the whole day – which is not really a terrible performance. Maybe there was a technical fault on the train – it can happen even in Switzerland…

The GGB was not failing in its duty per se, as the train you eventually got on was running after the one you wanted and then ran back down to Zermatt so the last advertised train of the day downhill ran, thus I think the company was fulfilling its responsibility to take any remaining passengers ‘off the mountain’ on the last advertised service.

HappyMak
    Participant
    17 posts
    25 June 2018 at 5:07:36 #889258

Hi 1960man,

Thank you for your analysis. As one of the affected travellers, I’d like to have the real time information as to the likely off schedule train so to have a better psychological preparation for the next train. Yeah let’s wait and see how GGB explains, if any.

Warmest regards,

Gordon Mak

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 June 2018 at 6:13:23 #889259

Yes, it is always nice if they could have explained to you what happened on the train when you were there.

Let us know what they say! 🙂

HappyMak
    Participant
    17 posts
    25 June 2018 at 7:38:26 #889260

Certainly!

• The thread ‘How to address schedule issue on Gornergrat train?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.