How to book across the border tickets with Half Pr

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 July 2015 at 0:04:47 #807580

We are planning a trip in September and we plan on buying the one month Swiss Half Price Card in advance. When looking to book individual trips on line I see the discount for the Half Price card on trips within Switzerland. But we are going from Luzern to Como and returning to the Zurich Airport – when I look at the drop down menu for discounts on these trips I only see “Half Price card 1/2/3 years”. Can I use that discount or do I need to book those trips in and out of Chiasso to take advantage of the discount and then book a separate Round trip for Chiasso and Como at the normal fare?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    19 July 2015 at 11:30:19 #844564

Hi Jeristhor, welcome to MySwissAlps!

Basically you don’t have to book your trips in advance. But the one to Como could be an exception if you plan to travel on a train that requires seat reservations for the (very short) leg in Italy. In that case both options you are considering will work. But there are local trains from Chiasso to Como too, which do not require a reservation. You can buy a single ticket for these trains in Chiasso, for only CHF 2.

So, the cheapest option is to buy a discounted ticket from Luzern to Chiasso, and a normal one from Chiasso to Como. The first ticket can be purchased in Luzern. The second one probably too, but if not you can get it in Chiasso when you change to the local train.

You can purchase your Swiss Half Fare Card in the US through http://www.raileurope.com/act ivities/swiss-half-fare-card/index.html or http://www.raileurope-world.com/pass/swiss-half-fare-card.

• The thread ‘How to book across the border tickets with Half Pr’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10610 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.