how to book on the SBB site using a swiss flex pas

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 April 2015 at 22:15:29 #807044

Because reservations are required for international travel I would like to book travel from Inerlaken to Venice using a flex swiss pass, however, there it no option on the website to use the swiss flex pass. There are other options for fair reductions such as GA, 1/2 fair, grand children, and Jr. card, but no option to bood for a reduction using the swiss flex pass. Anyone know how to proceed?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    4 April 2015 at 7:12:18 #842276

Hi pico,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! The SBB site is primarily geared to Swiss residents; indeed they don’t list the tourist passes. You could select GA as that basically includes the same discount for trips to Italy, assuming you plan to use a travel day of your Swiss Travel Pass Flex.

You live in the US, right? In that case you’d normally order your pass through raileurope.com or raileurope-world.com. The first site offers prices similar to the prices in Switzerland and payment in USD. The second site offers lower prices and payment in Euro. On both sites, you can order along a ticket to Italy for Swiss Travel Pass holders. Also check the Discounts section of the Swiss Travel Pass Flex page.

You don’t need seat reservations for the whole trips from Interlaken to Venice. You need them for the Italian leg: Domodossola to Venice, which is also the leg you need a ticket for as the rest is included in your Swiss Travel Pass Flex. Alternatively you could book from the station where you board the train to Italy, which is probably Spiez or Brig, depending on your travel date and time.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 April 2015 at 15:21:26 #842277

Thank you Annaka, I tried using the raileuope website to book the trip from innerlaken to Venice, but it would not allow me to book the trip. If I went to the sbb site using the GA rate, it did allow me to book the trip. My question is this, if I book the trip using the sbb site and the GA rate and show up on the train with a swiss flex pass rather than the GA pass, will that be allowed?

Arno
    15481 posts
    4 April 2015 at 15:45:21 #842278

Hi pico,

What’s your travel date and time?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 April 2015 at 16:01:15 #842279

Hello, we will be traveling on June 13th from Interlaken to Venice, sometime in the morning.

Arno
    15481 posts
    4 April 2015 at 17:44:17 #842280

Hi pico,

The issue may be that you don’t fill out the correct departure station. One of the easiest connections is the direct train from Brig to Venice, departing 9:44 AM. I just filled out Brig to Venice for June 13 on this Rail Europe page, and the train can be booked there. The price is nearly the same as on the SBB site, but you can pay in USD. The trains from Interlaken to Brig don’t need to be booked; they are covered by the Swiss Travel Pass Flex.

Booking on the SBB site picking the GA option should be allowed, but you can get the actual Swiss Travel Pass ticket on the Rail Europe site. In either case I recommend booking as soon as possible, as trains into Italy will be popular because of Expo 2015 in Milan. The other Rail Europe site Annika mentioned does not offer this specific train yet, but it will later. Both sites sell the Swiss Travel Pass Flex as well.

I hope this was useful!

• The thread ‘how to book on the SBB site using a swiss flex pas’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.