How to find a trail map for hut to hut hiking

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 January 2015 at 11:25:51 #806789

Hello, I would like to hike from hut to hut for about five days. I am having difficulty finding a topographic map showing the trails and distances between huts. One itinerary idea is Rotstock Hut – Gspaltenhorn Hut- Bluemlisalp Hut- Doldenhorn Hut. I would to hike anywhere from 8 to 12 miles a day. How can I optain a trail map? Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

jackdebear
    Participant
    82 posts
    7 January 2015 at 15:17:39 #841493

Probably you can find what you need at wanderland.ch as far as trail times and such info. For maps I advise you to forget about paper maps if you are carrying a smart phone. There’s free and paid apps out there that will make you wonder how you ever got from a to b with paper maps. I can personally recommend AlpineQuest for Android. I’ve done the High Route and the Walserweg with it and a bit of free paper from the tourist offices.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 January 2015 at 21:57:51 #841494

Thank you so much for this information. It may be hard for me to put down the paper map, but I think I’ll try it.

jackdebear
    Participant
    82 posts
    7 January 2015 at 22:51:55 #841495

No harm in trying the free ones. I recommend you get the app well in advance and work with it. I’ve spent months with AQ and still don’t have complete control. Also for hiking you’ll be looking for detailed aerial view maps. They take some space on your card and some time to download. There are hiking trail maps but I’m not aware of any as extensive as Wanderland. There should be gpx files around for some trails. I followed part of the VA using a gpx file from via-alpina.org

• The thread ‘How to find a trail map for hut to hut hiking’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.