How to find train using Swiss Travel Pass

• ohjewelio
    Participant
    2 posts
    28 August 2021 at 1:18:24 #826066

Hi,

I purchased a 15 day Swiss Travel Pass. What is the best way to find out what train, platform, times, etc. to use for a route? Should I type my route into the SBB app as though I would purchase a ticket, just to look at the options? Or is there a better way to plan/find my train?

Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

CabinJon
    Participant
    280 posts
    28 August 2021 at 2:57:34 #936363

The SBB app is the best way to get data on trains, times, routes, platforms, etc. If you select your starting & end points, date, and time, you’ll get a list of potential trains & departure times. Clicking on one of those expands the listing to show platform numbers, walking times if changing trains, and you can open the “show on map” option on the right side of the listing to indicate route, stops, etc. The “advanced” option when setting up your initial inquiry allows you to select/deselect the various forms of transportation too, which can be handy if you are looking only for boats, or don’t want to include buses.

I’m sure there is a link or thread on this site that explains in more detail how to use the SBB app, but I don’t know it. Using the SBB app is actually pretty easy after the 1st or 2nd time. If you get a Traveler’s WiFi you can almost always have access to the app wherever you go in Switzerland. We used it daily during our trips.

But don’t forget to double check the departure displays in the train stations, just in case something got switched. Doubtful, but it could happen.

Anna
    6384 posts
    28 August 2021 at 5:26:35 #936364

Hi ohjewelio,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

CabinJon is right. To plan your journey on trains, buses, trams and boats, you can use the SBB timetable. You can find more details here: http://www.myswissalps.com/timetable

For convenience, I recommend downloading the app from this page: http://www.myswissalps.com/aboutswitzerland/practical/websites (under public transport)

Regards,

Anna

ohjewelio
    Participant
    2 posts
    28 August 2021 at 12:35:44 #936365

Thank you…that is helpful!

• The thread ‘How to find train using Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.