How to get to Wengen from Grindelwald

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2019 at 18:29:09 #821517

Hello,

I know I take the train from Grindelwald to Zweiluschinen-Lauterbrunnen-Wengen . I can walk from train station to Wengen-Mannlichen correct? I looked up the Mannlichen website and wanted to do the Wenger-Mannlichen-Grindelwald to go back down, will this still be running in early July 2019? If so, where in Grindelwald will I be drop off? I will have the STP.

I was also wondering the Wengen-Mannlichen could you upgrade to RoyalRide and then continue down from Mannlichen to Grindelwald. Are these two separate things?

I would appreciate any advice you all have to offer. I wanted to do this in the afternoon, as we are doing Grindelwald-First activities in the morning. Our home base is Grindelwald.

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Mark
    Participant
    804 posts
    7 May 2019 at 22:42:12 #911885

Hi Patsy

You can get from Grindelwald to Wengen on 2 different train routes. The one you mentioned goes by way of Lauterbrunnen. The other route goes from Grindelwald to Alpiglen to Kleine Scheidegg to Wengen. It goes by the base of the Eiger and is more scenic but I believe you only get a 50% discount on the ticket with the STP. From the train station in Wengen you must walk 5-10 minutes to the cable car to Mannlichen.

From Mannlichen you have 3 options. You can return by the same cable car to Wengen. Or you can walk to Kleine Scheidegg 1:45 hrs and return To Grindelwald by train. Or normally you could take a cable car strait from Mannlichen to Grindelwald. However I think that cable car may be closed for construction and a bus will be available to return to Grindelwald. A moderator will have the exact dates of the closure and the bus alternative.

Mark

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    7 May 2019 at 22:52:21 #911886

The bus service Grindelwald to Männlichen commences 22 June. So you can take the bus from Grindelwald Grund to Männlichen and the cableway Männlichen to Wengen. If you take the trains between Grindelwald and Wengen via Kleine Scheidegg then you will need to buy tickets and use your STP to get 25% discount.

The “Royal Ride” is just a marketing term. http://www.maennlichen.ch/en/ news/mountain-summer/articles/mounta in-summer.html

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    7 May 2019 at 23:34:04 #911887

Hi Patsy-

As you can see from the posts so far, the answer is genraly date dependent. Any excursion in the Alps is date dependent. That is why we ask:

“When are you traveling?”

In early July, the connections through Grindelwald will be in flux. Could you let us know your dates.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 May 2019 at 18:02:49 #911888

Our dates are July 10-12 in Griendwald. Thanks for the replies.

Annika
    7124 posts
    11 May 2019 at 13:21:57 #911889

Hi Patsy. During July 10-12 things will work as described by Rockoyster. His link shows which routes are open and which are closed. You’ll also find the options in the general timetable (myswissalps.com/forum/ topic/timetable) if you enter your exact travel date. You may have to fill out a “via” station (such as “Männlichen”) to force the timetable to provide connections for a specific route. To summarize, your options for Grindelwald-Wengen are:

• Grindelwald-Zweilütschinen-Lauterbrunnen-Wengen by regular train, fully covered by a Swiss Travel Pass:
    • Grindelwald-Männlichen by replacement bus-Wengen by cable car, 50% discounted with a Swiss Travel Pass;
    • Grindelwald-Kleine Scheidegg-Wengen, all by cog train, 25% discounted with a Swiss Travel Pass.

You can check the Swiss Travel Pass validity area here:myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpass/validity.

• The thread ‘How to get to Wengen from Grindelwald’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.