How to make the best of Interlaken in 1 day?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 July 2015 at 0:16:34 #807603

Hello! We’re a family of 7 (my parents, and my siblings aged 17, 16, 10, 8 and 2) and we’d be visiting Switzerland through a traveling agency. All the rest is set by them, except for one day where they take us from zurich to interlaken and we’re either to spend our day at leisure there or opt for a tour to jungfraujouch.. Since the latter was making our trip too pricey, we denied the offer having left August 6 for us to spend on lie sure in interlaken. I was really hoping we could either visit lake thun/ brienz on a boat trip, see a waterfall and visit the village around brienz. Also I was wanting to visit spiez castle and river aare and I just really hope we could end up at some spot where we get the real feel of the alps! Now I understand its crazy to do all that within a single day which is exactly the reason I’m hoping to get help on here! My priority would be one of the lakes, a river, a castle and most importantly a view of the alps.. I’d be ultra grateful if someone could help me plan out my day to really make that day a regret free dream come true with every moment filled with something extraordinary! I’d really appreciate all sorts of itenary planning! Also, some suggestion on getting nice budget friendly souvenirs in interlaken would be great! Thanks in advance!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

vikicork
    Participant
    44 posts
    22 July 2015 at 14:01:32 #844646

I think for a view of the alps ,Harder Kulm right there in Interlaken is very nice .

heres at least what I would suggest

go up funicular to Harder Kulm

take train to Meiringen and then Aareschlucht and see Aare Gorge which is really beautiful

take train to Brienz and boat to Giessbach fall and hotel and then boat back to Interlaken

if u still have energy u can visit one of the castles on Thun Lake – Spiez,Oberhofen or Thun.

Perhaps go to Harder Kulm last as it closes late and the sunset view of alps would be spectactular

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 July 2015 at 1:12:26 #844647

Thanks so very much on all your help there! I’m so grateful for you taking out that time to help me! May you get the reward :)Sunset from harder kulm sound absolutely stunning! As per my research, sunset timing for that day would be 8:53 pm. We might not be able to make it so late. A trip to harder klum would be incomplete without a walk on the Two-lake Footbridge! We really wish to be able to make it there! Just some more advice here..If I take “interlaken ost” as the start and end point of my trip, in why sequence should I go to these places? Reichenbach falls (or would it be more feasible to fit in Giessbach fall instead) , aare gorge (or should we go to lake thun/brienz instead), harder kulm, rosenlaui glacier George.And considering the act that we’re 7 people and we’d be using the train system extensively, any offers we could avail that may cut down the costs?

vikicork
    Participant
    44 posts
    23 July 2015 at 19:31:34 #844648

Youre welcome Hussain .

I can tell you have done your fair share of research as well .

I stayed right next to Interlaken Ost and it was very convenient .check the train timetables on the web site .its very easy and convenient .Probably recommend taking train first from Interlaken booked to Aareschlucht MIB via Meiringen .then walk thru Aare Gorge ,exit at Aareschlucht West .you can then take train back to Brienz via Meiringen and stop at Giessbach fall or walk to Reichenbach falls from Aareschlucht West .Im not sure how the 2 year old woukd cope with about a 20 minute walk though .and then the bus back from Reichenbach falls to Meiringen .

I would not advise doing both Reichenbach and Giessbach falls so choose the one you want to do .

then take the train back to Interlaken West and take boat to Spiez and back so then u get your boat ride in as well .

Relax at hotel ,then go to Harder Kulm .

no way to save money except say if you have a half fare card if you doing a bunch of stuff on your own in Switzerland .( even if you are on a tour )

hope this helps

• The thread ‘How to make the best of Interlaken in 1 day?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10720 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.