How to plan a winter itinerary?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 December 2014 at 18:47:42 #806776

I’m traveling with three youths to Europe on Jan/Feb 2015. Switzerland is our main winter itinerary. Please advise whether our arrangement is in order?

• 29/01 Tirano to Chur via Bernina Express – a night at Chur
    • 30/01 Chur to Zermatt via Glacier Express – a night at Zermatt Town
    • 31/01 Zermatt to Gornergrat via Clog train – a night at Kulmhotel Gornergrat
    • 01/02 Zermatt to Bern via train – a night at Bern (can we stop over at Visp for short visit same day??)
    • 02/02 Bern to Geneva via train – a night at Geneva
    • 03/02 Geneva to Paris
    1. Is there much to see in Bern during winter?
    2. Should we stay another day in Chur and leave out Bern?
    3. Geneva is a must as requested by my sons.
    4. 4days Swiss pass adequate for our itinerary?
    5. Appreciate your suggestions.
    6. Thank you.
  • Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    29 December 2014 at 18:34:38 #841457

Hi Crysterl,

Thanks for your post! You switch hotel every day. That takes a lot of time you could spend sightseeing instead. I would skip Geneva and add a night to Zermatt. Then go to Bern, and from there to Paris via Basel. Also I would not stay in Chur but in St. Moritz, Samedan, Celerina or Pontresina. These are smaller towns in a high valley that offer the more wintry feeling I think you’re looking for. These are all personal choices though. You may have good reasons for the towns you picked. But you will experience more Winter if you adjust your itinerary like I suggested.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 December 2014 at 9:57:03 #841458

Anikka, appreciate your reply. We decided to drop Glacier Express. Pls give us a better suggestion to travel from 29/01/15 to 3/02/15. We travel Tirano via Bernina Express to St Moritz and planning to put up 2 nights. Then, What’s the next best town to travel to?We really need your help.

Annika
    7116 posts
    30 December 2014 at 10:12:36 #841459

Hi Crysterl,

I’m not sure what your main objective is. If you want to add a city visit after spending time in wintry St. Moritz, then look into Lucerne or Bern. From there, you can easily travel to Basel and switch to a train to Paris. If you want more winter scenery, then consider Grindelwald, Wengen or another town in the Jungfrau region.

General planning tips can be found here.

• The thread ‘How to plan a winter itinerary?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.