Visit Eiger Trail and Grindelwald (First) same day

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2018 at 6:28:13 #816318

Hi!

I am trying to plan one of my days spent in the Jungfrau region where I would like to walk the Eiger Trail and visit Grindelwald/First (and go to Bachalpsee) in the same day – we are based in Wengen (travel is in the last week of June this year).

I am considering: starting in Wengen and travelling to First to start the day, then travelling back to Alpiglen station to start the Eiger trail there and ending at Eigergletscher. Then heading back to Wengen.

I have several questions:

1. Is this doable in one day?

2. Which is better to do first? My trouble is planning what is the best route in terms of saving time and money (I am in the process of finalising our itinerary and so have not yet decided which of the Swiss Travel Pass rt Half Fare Card will be more beneficial but will definitely be investing in one).

I am a very tedious planner and Switzerland has proven to be a lot more intricate than initially expected!

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Sharon

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2018 at 13:01:08 #886801

Hi Sharon and welcome to MySwissAlps!

1. I haven’t done those hikes but I’m thinking it might be a bit much.
      First to Bachalpsee is about 2.5 hours round trip (plus time spent at the lake). Then the trail from Alpigen to Eigergletscher is another 7km or so… once after you arrive from First/Grindelwald.
      You can read a little about that hike here: https://www.walkingswi tzerland.com/swiss-walk-8011
    2. As far as choosing the best rail pass, you’ll want to plan out the trips you plan on making each day then finding prices and doing the math to compare to rail passes. Read our page here on how to choose the best rail pass: https://www.myswissalp s.com/train/ticketspas ses/practical/choosera ilpass

I’m sure other members who’ve done one or both hikes can give me concrete details for you.

Mark
    Participant
    804 posts
    30 May 2018 at 18:17:23 #886802

Hi Sharon

i have done both hikes and would say they are doable if your in reasonable shape but it will be somewhat arduous. I would definitely go the opposite direction by starting on train from Wengen to KS to Eigergletcher and starting the Eiger trail from there. That way you will hike downhill to Alpiglen where you can have lunch at the outdoor cafe. This is way easier than going uphill from Alpiglen to Eigergletcher. Eiger trail rated 2:50 hrs. From Alpiglen take train to Grindelwald and cable car to First and hike out and back to Bachalpsee. Rated 1:40 hrs and is a fairly flat wide path really a road. You can return to Wengen by train or take cable car from Grund to Wengen by way of Männlichen,very scenic. Mark

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2018 at 10:06:33 #886803

Hi Lucas and Mark,

Thank you both for your helpful responses!

I did anticipate that it’ll be a very long and tiring day but due to our lack of time in the area we wanted to really push to try and do both.

Thank you, Mark, for the route suggestion. I’ll definitely take that on board in my planning.

Sharon

• The thread ‘Visit Eiger Trail and Grindelwald (First) same day’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.