I cycled to France and back to Switzerland

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Snowman
Snowman
764 posts
top member
Jun 15, 2020 - 4:31 PM

On this 15th of June 2020, the borders in Western Europe reopened and crossing them is now according to normal procedures. To check this, I biked from Geneva to Annemasse, using the new Green Way (Voie Verte) that has recently been created for bikers and pedestrians. No check-point, no nonsense!

It is fairly easy to rent - or even borrow for free - bicycles in Switzerland, and tourists should be encouraged to use that possibility.

Please login to see the attached documents
Steph
Steph
2293 posts
top member
Jun 15, 2020 - 5:19 PM in reply to Snowman

Hello Snowman,

How nice you "tested" the cycle connection from Geneva to France. :)

Hope you had a good time and not too sore muscles the next day.

Cheers,
Steph

Maloja Snake
Maloja Snake
67 posts
Jun 16, 2020 - 6:47 AM in reply to Snowman

Thanks for your hopeful report. I've been following the news everyday regarding Europe re-opening status. And your photo also answered my question of whether local people are wearing masks :) And again, the best English language source that I have come across on the individual country status of Europe re-opening (updated daily): is here:

www.euronews.com/2020/06/15/which-european-countries-have-opened-their-borders-ahead-of-the-summer-holiday-season

You learn a lot by digging into the weeds of this report. For example, ANY traveller to Austria must have a medical certification that they are covid free, and it must be dated within the last four days.

Snowman
Snowman
764 posts
top member
Jun 16, 2020 - 7:03 AM in reply to Maloja Snake

Hello Maloja Snake,

Wearing masks has never been compulsory in Switzerland (generally speaking). People wear them or not depending on the situation. In public transport maybe 30% wear masks. In stores also. Hairdressers, doctors and certain other categories wear masks while working.

I wonder if your information regarding Austria is up-to-date for travellers coming from the Schengen area.

Ildiko
Ildiko
978 posts
top member &
Jun 18, 2020 - 11:44 AM

Hi there!

As far as I know, it is free to cross the border without any tests at the moment.

You'll find the latest updates at www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/does-the-corona-virus-affect-trips-to-switzerland, in the first post of the thread.

Ildiko

Last modified on Jun 19, 2020 - 6:58 AM by Annika

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2020