I cycled to France and back to Switzerland

• Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    15 June 2020 at 16:31:35 #825580

On this 15th of June 2020, the borders in Western Europe reopened and crossing them is now according to normal procedures. To check this, I biked from Geneva to Annemasse, using the new Green Way (Voie Verte) that has recently been created for bikers and pedestrians. No check-point, no nonsense!

It is fairly easy to rent – or even borrow for free – bicycles in Switzerland, and tourists should be encouraged to use that possibility.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 June 2020 at 17:19:51 #932602

Hello Snowman,

How nice you “tested” the cycle connection from Geneva to France. 🙂

Hope you had a good time and not too sore muscles the next day.

Cheers,
    Steph

Maloja_Snake
    Participant
    82 posts
    16 June 2020 at 6:47:59 #932603

Thanks for your hopeful report. I’ve been following the news everyday regarding Europe re-opening status. And your photo also answered my question of whether local people are wearing masks 🙂 And again, the best English language source that I have come across on the individual country status of Europe re-opening (updated daily): is here:

http://www.euronews.com/2020/06/15/which-european-countries-have-opened-their-borders-ahead-of-the-summer-holiday-season

You learn a lot by digging into the weeds of this report. For example, ANY traveller to Austria must have a medical certification that they are covid free, and it must be dated within the last four days.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    16 June 2020 at 7:03:57 #932604

Hello Maloja Snake,

Wearing masks has never been compulsory in Switzerland (generally speaking). People wear them or not depending on the situation. In public transport maybe 30% wear masks. In stores also. Hairdressers, doctors and certain other categories wear masks while working.

I wonder if your information regarding Austria is up-to-date for travellers coming from the Schengen area.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 June 2020 at 11:44:32 #932605

Hi there!

As far as I know, it is free to cross the border without any tests at the moment.

You’ll find the latest updates at http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/does-the-corona-virus-affect-trips-to-switzerland, in the first post of the thread.

Ildiko

• The thread ‘I cycled to France and back to Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.