Identifying Special Panaromic trains in time table

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 July 2011 at 12:18:09 #804465

Hi
    We are planning to take Golden pass train from Lucerne to Interlaken in the morning.
    And, how could I ensure that 08:55 train from Lucerne-Interlaken is ‘Golden Pass’ train only?
    As you suggested in other forum questions, I searched the Swiss timetable, and I could see ‘R’ without rectangle which means Reservation is not mandatory for 07:55, 09:55, 11:55 trains. But for trains at 08:55, 10:55 – R is not mentioned at all. Does this mean, reservation not required for these trains?

Regards
    Anitha

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7103 posts
    9 July 2011 at 6:50:23 #833425

Hi Anitha! The special Golden Pass timetables may be of help here. As you can see there (by opening the upper PDF document), Golden Pass trains run from Lucerne to Interlaken at 07:55 and 09:55, but not at 08:55. In the general Swiss timetable, panoramic trains such as the Golden Pass are identified by a special symbol: a triangle with a black top, meaning ‘panorama coach’. Reservation for the Golden Pass isn’t mandatory for most coaches, but can be highly recommended, especially in high season. This explains the ‘R’ you see at the 07:55 and 09:55 trains. The 08:55 and 10.55 trains aren’t Golden Pass trains but regular regional trains, so reservation doesn’t apply there and no R whatsoever is displayed.

I hope this explains things!

• The thread ‘Identifying Special Panaromic trains in time table’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10720 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.