Information on Rottal Hut near Lauterbrunnen

• Mschwalbe
    Participant
    107 posts
    19 September 2022 at 13:58:01 #828376

Hello,

I have come to the beautiful Mürren Lauterbrunnen area twice, in 2019 and in 2022, hiking for approximately 12 days. During these two trips, we had one night at the Rotstock hut, the Lobhorn hut and the Gspalthorn hut. These were all amazing experiences! I am in the process of planning another hiking trip for 2023. Has anyone any comments or experience regarding the Rottal Hut? Using Stechelberg or Lauterbrunnen as a ‘home base’, any comments on other nearby huts would be appreciated.

Many thanks!

Monica, from Canada

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6384 posts
    19 September 2022 at 19:18:36 #947058

Hi Monica,

Glad you enjoyed your previous trips to Switzerland and are planning to come back again.

For information about the Rottal Hut, I suggest you check out the Swiss Alpine Club website.

http://www.sac-cas.ch/en/huts-and-tours/sac-route-portal/rottalhuette-sac-2147000226/

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Anna

Mschwalbe
    Participant
    107 posts
    19 September 2022 at 19:36:47 #947059

Hello Anna,

Thanks for your quick response. I had already consulted the web site that you indicated. I am trying to figure out how difficult the ‘fixed ropes and ladders’ are, as mentioned on the website. I have gone up the Sefinenfurgee and am wondering if going to the Rottal Hut is much more difficult, or about the same. One thing is for sure – according to the website description, the views are impressive!

Kind regards,

Monica

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 September 2022 at 8:38:10 #947060

Hi Monica,

I found this one for you: http://www.sac-cas.ch/en/huts-and-tours/sac-route-portal/sefinenfurgge-sefinafurgga-3223/mountain-hiking/.

The Rottalhütte SAC has a difficulty of T4, while the Sefinenfurgge / Sefinafurgga have T3 or T3+, depending on the route.

So I would expect that the Rottalhütte SAC is more difficult.

Ildiko

MySwissAlps.com recommends reading this: Hiking in the Swiss Alps

Mschwalbe
    Participant
    107 posts
    21 September 2022 at 13:05:59 #947061

Hello Ildiko,

Thank you for this information, in particular pointing out that the Sefinenfurgee SAC difficulty rating is T3/T3 + , whereas the Rottal Hütte is T4.

The link you sent has a photo showing the amazing view from the top of the Sefinenfurgee. When I was there in June, it was a dream come true! Memories for life!!

So I will continue researching the Rottal and other huts. The Swiss SAC websites are excellent, and of course this forum is extremely helpful! Many thanks.

Monica

• The thread ‘Information on Rottal Hut near Lauterbrunnen’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.