Interlaken to Mt.Schilthorn using Eurail Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 March 2018 at 0:00:56 #814881

I am planning on booking tickets for mid June to travel from Interlaken to Mt. Schilthorn using my 2 country Eurail Select Pass. I get a 25% discount. Am I right to assume that, even though part of the journey is by rail, that I do not have to use up a day of my pass?

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 March 2018 at 2:59:22 #879356

Hi Russell, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I would say so. The Eurail site says “The discount benefits apply during the validity of your Eurail Pass, whereas free passage on trains, buses or ferries is only valid on travel days.”

http://www.eurail.com/en/deal s/eurail-pass-benefits/benefits-switzerland

However, you can’t reserve seats between Interlaken and the Schilthorn, so there’s really no point in buying your tickets this early. They don’t sell out.

In any case, it is not a good idea to buy tickets for mountain-top visits until the day before at the earliest, as you need to know what the weather will be like before spending all that money. If the top of the Schilthorn is in the clouds, there won’t be any views, and you will have wasted your money.

You can check the webcam before buying your tickets to go up:

schilthorn.ch/en/Infos /Live

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 March 2018 at 18:22:07 #879357

Hi Alpenrose,

Thanks very much for your prompt and detailed response. Lots of good information. Very much appreciated.

Russell

• The thread ‘Interlaken to Mt.Schilthorn using Eurail Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.