Interlaken to Zermatt via Glacier Express

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 July 2017 at 15:04:29 #812698

Hi all,

I would be traveling to Switzerland end August and I am planning to travel from interlaken to zermatt by train.I am planning to get a Swiss rail pass.I would like to know which is the best route to do that considering that I am interested in traveling by the glacier express.also ,could I opt for other trains on the same route as I read that the glacier express requires reservation?

I am planning to stay overnight at zermatt.

Any suggestions are welcome .

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    22 July 2017 at 17:29:21 #867204

Hi Rijusree,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! Interlaken to Zermatt does not include the Glacier Express. Well, the last hour or so overlaps with the Glacier Express route, but it would be inconvenient and expensive to specifically take that train there. There are plenty of other trains that do not require you to buy a reservation. If yyou enter Interlaken to Zermatt in the timetable it will show all options. Enter “via Kandersteg” if you prefer the slower but more scenic route.

You can check the Swiss Travel Pass page for all details about the pass, what’s covered, and how to buy it.

Where are you going after Zermatt? It would make sense to go to St. Moritz, or at least Chur. You can take the Glacier Express for that trip.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 July 2017 at 6:11:20 #867205

Hi Arno, Thanks for your help.I was actually hoping to do part of the journey by glacier express from either andermatt or brig but If it’s a long detour I shall drop that plan.I also read about the Lotschberg regio express.can I travel part of the journey on that?

From zermatt We would be traveling to Geneva and then on to Paris so won’t be able to do glacier express again.

Arno
    15484 posts
    23 July 2017 at 12:33:52 #867206

Hi again!

The best part of the route is east of Andermatt. If you depart from Interlaken early you can travel to Chur, board there and stay seated to Zermatt. That’s a really long day on trains, but then you’ll experience 75% of the Glacier Express route.

The Lötschberg Regio Express is the route via Kandersteg I mentioned in my previous post. If you don’t want 9 hours or so on trains, that would be a good alternative to make the ride to Zermatt more interesting.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 July 2017 at 14:59:59 #867207

Glacier express is just waste of time and money . You can better consider Golden pass line from Interlaken to Luzern or Interlaken to Montreux . Ticket covered with Swiss travel pass & seat reservation is very cheap ( only required between Zweisimmen and Montreux ). It’s a beautiful scenic route specially between Luzern & Interlaken and Zweisimmen to Montreux . Glacier express only seat reservation 33 chf per person. It’s advertised very well but a long boring and tiring journey with less impressive route. We made it last week , it’s boring and expensive experience for us , as we bought first class upgrade too.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 July 2017 at 16:44:03 #867208

Hi all,

Just a quick note that reservations are not required on any section of the Golden Pass route – but we recommend it often in the busy summer season!

Lucas

• The thread ‘Interlaken to Zermatt via Glacier Express’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.