Is hiking better from Murren than Wengen?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 May 2012 at 18:23:17 #805302

I was reading a guide book and it said that Murren had better hiking than Wengen. I suppose that means easier access to more hikes.

Does it really matter if you stay in Wengen or Murren? Interlakan looks convenient for hikes.

Would it take about a hour to get from Wengen to Murren with waiting times?

How long would it take to get from Wengen to Sch Platte to start the hike to First?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    27 May 2012 at 4:36:55 #836229

Hi magentaspeaker! In my opinion, Mürren and Wengen are pretty similar in terms of views, access and hiking options. I don’t know where exactly you plan to hike. If it’s in the Jungfrau region only, towns as Mürren, Wengen, Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald would be fine. If you want to cover other areas too, such as the lake areas between Thun and Brienz, I’d recommend a more central location such as Interlaken or Wilderswil. Please consult the general timetable and the cable cars/mountain railways timetables to find out about traveling times.

By the way, I’ll remove your similar question in the Hiking section, as I think your questions on a good resort for your stay can be discussed here, right?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 May 2012 at 9:07:12 #836230

In my opinion, both are great locations to visit.
    If you are planning on spending some time in either Murren or Wengen, I would recommend staying in Lauterbrunnen. Its an easy walk, 10 minutes or less, if you stay at any hotel in town to the train station that will take you to Wengen. Then on to Kleine Scheidegg for the ride up to Jungfrau. For Murren, you could take the gondola up from Lauterbrunnen then either hike or take the train. Or you can catch the post bus to the Schilthorn Gondola. As for the hike from First to Sch. Platte again, a train from Lauterbrunnen will get you there.. Have a great time..

Dave

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 May 2012 at 13:32:26 #836231

[quote]DaveB said: In my opinion, both are great locations to visit.
    If you are planning on spending some time in either Murren or Wengen, I would recommend staying in Lauterbrunnen. Its an easy walk, 10 minutes or less, if you stay at any hotel in town to the train station that will take you to Wengen. Then on to Kleine Scheidegg for the ride up to Jungfrau. For Murren, you could take the gondola up from Lauterbrunnen then either hike or take the train. Or you can catch the post bus to the Schilthorn Gondola. As for the hike from First to Sch. Platte again, a train from Lauterbrunnen will get you there.. Have a great time..
    Dave[/quote]

i was thinking about Lauterbrunnen too. Wengen has the better views, but I also plan to be out hiking so I won’t be staying in Wengen until later in the day. It’s only about 20 extra min down to Lauterbrunner when I want to go somewhere.

Wilderswil looks like a central location too. You can go towards Grindewald or Murren/Wengen.

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    27 May 2012 at 14:32:20 #836232

From experience I can tell you that Wilderswil is a central location. Like a spider in a web you’re in the middle of lots of possibilities, Interlaken is nearby and it’s a lovely village with nice restaurants and plenty places to stay. We have stayed in Wilderswil many times (just got back…), never a dull moment!

I know, it’s hard to choose. Hopefully you’ll find what you are looking for.

Have a nice trip,

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 May 2012 at 16:28:34 #836233

I just love the Lauterbrunnen Valley..Although, if you are travelling by train, I never thought of basing out of Wilderswill. Could be an option as well.. But, if you do stay in Lauterbrunnen, take a meal at the Hotel Jungfrau. The staff is fantastic, and the food even better. No matter where you stay, I know you will enjoy your stay.. I am counting the days, 362 to be exact, untill my 3rd visit..

Dave

• The thread ‘Is hiking better from Murren than Wengen?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.