Is the cable car to First operating during winter?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 June 2019 at 15:08:05 #822497

Me and my family are planning a trip to Switzerland this October-December. We are planning to hopefully go to First to explore its beautiful landscape and hopefully have a beautiful picnic there. However I am concerned whether the cable cars up to First would still be operating during November and December periods(specifically 30th November). I tried looking for any information on the internet but I haven’t found anything reassuring me yet so I’m just going to ask to forum and hope for a reply 🙂 thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    26 June 2019 at 22:26:43 #916198

Hello Coolmoehtut2 and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

You’re in luck. According to the SBB timetable the Grindelwald – First cableway recommences service on 30 November.

Use the timetable on the SBB website (bit.ly/2HH1U7B) or the highly-recommended SBB Mobile app (bit.ly/2ICIUHi) to plan your travel, find fares* and buy tickets if required. If you are not familiar with using the timetable it will pay to first read the instructions on this page – http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable. *SBB website shows half-fare prices by default, mobile app allows you to nominate full or half-fare and is also smart enough to offer you the Saver Day Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/sa verdaypass) if that offers the best fare.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 June 2019 at 23:37:13 #916199

Late November would be an unusual time for a picnic at such a high altitude. Picnic is normally a ‘laze on the grass in the summer sun’ acitivity

• The thread ‘Is the cable car to First operating during winter?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.