Is the Vevey Wine Festival worth going?

• Virgingorda
    Participant
    58 posts
    3 August 2019 at 5:07:58 #823203

Hello,

The last day of the Vevey Wine Festival is August 11. Is it worth going? We’ll be in Switzerland during that time (Aug 7-17) but had planned to get over to the Lake Geneva side toward the end of the trip.

Should we change up the itinerary and go to the festival at least one day? Or it’ll be like a zoo? And taking one day off from sightseeing other places.

If we don’t or can’t get tickets to the main event in the pop-up stadium, would there be plenty of things to see and do outside?

All travel websites said it’s a festival of a lifetime since with happens only every 20 years.

Thanks for your advice!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    3 August 2019 at 19:22:59 #919200

Hi Virgingorda!

I can’t guess if you would enjoy the Fête des Vignerons. Let’s say about 20,000 people daily find it worth attending. Including me and my family (we went on Aug 1st).

But you may prefer to see the Lion Monument in Lucerne, who knows…

Thanks for the « pop up stadium » I didn’t know it was called by that name.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    3 August 2019 at 19:32:13 #919201

It is a show with a few thousands (I think) players in costumes (traditional and fancy). Not understanding French would be a hindrance but not a final obstacle (the show is mostly visual). It is about the work around vineyards and wine throughout the year. The show lasts 3 hours. Do you have any interest in Swiss culture and traditions? If yes, go and enjoy it, if no it would be courteous to leave your seat to someone else.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    4 August 2019 at 15:50:34 #919202

Hi again Virgingorda!

You’ve probably made up your mind by now, but just in case…

If this your first trip in Switzerland it might be a good idea to skip the Fête des Vignerons. On a first trip, travellers tend to visit the “must see” sites. You might prefer to see the Tellspiele in Interlaken. A revival of the William Tell legend, the Tellspiele targets the tourist audience, whereas the Fête des Vignerons is mainly meant for a Swiss audience. By the way, a ticket for the FeVi costs around CHF 190 a piece.

Virgingorda
    Participant
    58 posts
    4 August 2019 at 18:46:03 #919203

Thanks, all, for your advice. We’re going to skip it, although I’m a sucker for anything with UNESCO designation. Trying to collect many as possible on our travels. 😁

NYTimes Travel just had an article on it from the guy who does 52 Places. He thought some parts of the performance were too weird, at least to an American. And he recommended other things to do, just typical sightseeing stuff in that area.

+++

Actually we prefer to experience authentic, local cultural activities and festivals and avoid all the staged ones for tourists though.

We were in Vienna in June and really enjoyed the music scene there. Managed to catch an outdoor concert at the Schonbrunn Palace by the Vienna Philharmonic, and 2 operas at the Vienna State Opera, and a huge rock music festival on the island in the Danube.

We avoided all the tourist concerts pushed by Mozart touts on the street.

If you know of any interesting local festivals from August 7-17, please let me know. Mountain, folkloric festivals
    We might rearrange our itinerary to catch it if it’s interesting enough.

• The thread ‘Is the Vevey Wine Festival worth going?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.