Is Wilhelm Tell Express worth it?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 June 2015 at 14:34:20 #807470

Hi all,

I am travelling from Milan to Lucerne. Scenic train Wilhelm Tell Express is one of the option to reach Lucerne.

Since I am buying Eurail Select Pass 2nd class, travelling by normal train from Milan to Lucerne (reservation fee Euro20), compared to travelling by scenic train (reservation fee Euro40+ compulsory top up to 1st class not sure how much, about Euro 60?), it is about additional Euro 80 if travelling by scenic train.

Does it worth the money? Understand that it includes lunch, but I read somewhere the lunch is not super delicious too.

Please correct me if any of my assumption above is not accurate.

Thanks.

Liong

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    28 June 2015 at 10:00:03 #844056

Hi Liong,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! There is an alternative: simply take the same train and boat, but 2nd class. There’s no need to book seats, so it’s all free with your pass. You can buy lunch on board the ship or bring your own.

The Wilhelm Tell Express package is the “luxury” version of this trip. Whether it’s worth the extra money is hard to decide for someone else.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 July 2015 at 14:11:20 #844057

Could you please explain how to book the same train and boat 2nd class and which site to do it on? We will be traveling on August 20 from Milan to Lucerne and want to make sure we have seats. Also, do we need to worry about trains being full?

Arno
    15471 posts
    1 July 2015 at 15:01:25 #844058

We’re talking about that here, lward.

• The thread ‘Is Wilhelm Tell Express worth it?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.