Mid-May 3 day Switzerland trip planning

• kaylabee09
    Participant
    2 posts
    1 February 2018 at 6:28:11 #814212

Hello!

So far I am finding this forum very helpful in planning my trip. I wanted to ask for some advice about a few details of our plans…

I am planning a trip to Europe in mid-May. We are hoping to visit Paris, Rome, Venice, and Switzerland. We are still working on the exact travel dates for each location, but it’s looking like it will work out for us to be in Switzerland for either May 17-19 or May 23-25. We are interested in doing the panoramic walk from Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg but I believe I read that the gondola and cable cars will not be operating until June, with the exception of the Pentecost/Whitsunday weekend. Are there other ways to get to Mannlichen, and will that trail even be open at that time? I have read that there will still be snow in mid-May.

Can you also advise as to what might be a good “base” for our stay in Switzerland? We are considering Interlaken simply because it seems close to the Mannlichen hiking trail and we’d also like to go to Jungfraujoch. Today I have been reading more about Lucerne and that would be a nice place for us to see too!

Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 February 2018 at 12:35:54 #875464

Hi Kaylabee09 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

The hike from Männlichen – Kleine Scheidegg is can be open yes – a popular winter hike as well (https://www.myswitzerl and.com/en-ch/winter-walking-from-maennlichen-to-kleine-scheidegg.html). At that time though the only option is to walk to Männlichen.

Picking a base depends on your focus area of Switzerland. If you are focused on the Jungfraujoch and the Jungfrau region then Lucerne is really to far away I think. Use the Swiss railways timetable here to plan out your trips.
    Interlaken is close but not a terribly interesting city. Have a look at one of the smaller alpine villages like Wengen, Grindelwald, Lauterbrunnen or Mürren instead.

If you are wanting to make day trips outside the Jungfrau region though, Interlaken is a good choice with its better rail connections.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 February 2018 at 0:29:56 #875465

>> it’s looking like it will work out for us to be in Switzerland for either May 17-19 or May 23-25. We are interested in doing the panoramic walk from Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg but I believe I read that the gondola and cable cars will not be operating until June, with the exception of the Pentecost/Whitsunday weekend. Are there other ways to get to Mannlichen, and will that trail even be open at that time? I have read that there will still be snow in mid-May.

One of the forum experts on Wengen, Kim, says she has never seen the Männlichen-Kleine Scheidegg walk open before 12-15 June. See her post of Jan 16, 2018 – 6:28 AM on the following page:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/traveling-to-berner-oberland-in-late-may

The trail is groomed for winter walking, but I would not expect the grooming to continue once the cable cars shut down on 3 April for between-seasons maintenance.

The cable car from Wengen to Männlichen reopens on 1 June.

The gondola from Grindelwald Grund to Männlichen opens on 26 May, but if snow conditions are good, will also run on Sat, Sun and Mon 19 May–21 May.

Even if the gondola is running, the trail from Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg might not be open. The local tourist office can advise you about which trails are open when you are there.

>> Can you also advise as to what might be a good “base” for our stay in Switzerland? We are considering Interlaken simply because it seems close to the Mannlichen hiking trail and we’d also like to go to Jungfraujoch. Today I have been reading more about Lucerne and that would be a nice place for us to see too!

For such a short stay, I would stay in one place only. If you are going to the Jungfraujoch, I would stay in one of the local villages (Wengen, Lauterbrunnen, Grindelwald, Mürren). Interlaken is another less scenic, less charming possibility.

Staying close to the Jungfraujoch will give you maximum flexibility to get up there when the weather is clear. Travelling from Luzern introduces the risk that the Jungfraujoch might disappear into the clouds during the time it takes to travel from Luzern to the Jungfrau Region.

You can check the webcam to see what conditions are like before buying a ticket to go up:

http://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/live/webcams/

Jungfrau weather

http://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/live/weather/#jungf raujoch

Alpenrose

kaylabee09
    Participant
    2 posts
    2 February 2018 at 5:24:04 #875466

Lucas & Alpenrose: thank you very much for your replies!

I think we will take your advice and look at staying in one of the smaller villages, still count on going to the Jungfraujoch, and inquire at a tourist office when we arrive as to what hiking trails might be best for the weather conditions.

I am very much looking forward to my visit! I appreciate you both taking the time to respond to my questions 🙂

• The thread ‘Mid-May 3 day Switzerland trip planning’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.