6 days in April in Switzerland trip planning help

• smnaren
    Participant
    13 posts
    14 September 2017 at 3:54:34 #813258

Hi myswissalps team,

Thanks for your great forum which gave more insight of travel in Switzerland. Based on reading various threads in this forum, i had finalized below itinerary for y 6 day Switzerland trip in april 2018. we are family of 4 (2 adults + 2kids (age 8 & 11)). Planning to take Swiss Travel Pass for 6 days (2nos of 3 day Swiss Travel Pass). I will be staying Interlaken all through out my trip and will be my base.

Day 1: Landing in Zurich around 11:00am, Train to Interlaken, Check in Hotel, Lake Brienze cruise, Visit to Harder Kulm during Sunset

Day 2: Visit to Jungfraujoch through Grindelwald in morning, Return to lauterbrunnen, planned to Schilthorn in Afternoon

Day 3: Planned for Mt Titlis in Morning. Evening lake Lucerne cruise from Brunen to Flüelen.

Day 4: Visit to Mt Pilatus in morning, take train to Zurich, walk to Lake Zurich & FIFA musuem.

Day 5: Planned to zermatt, going to Gornergrat in morning. take train to Bern, Visit Bern old city.

Day 6: Planning to take Goldenpass to montreux , visting Gstaad & saanen. In evening, visiting Chillion castle in montreux.

Day 7: Train to BASEL, to catch TGV.

Is this plan doable ? Can you please let me know expert advice ? any changes suggested.

Regards

Naren

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    14 September 2017 at 9:33:38 #869796

Hello smnaren and welcome to MySwissAlps,

At first glance your itinerary looks a little ambitious. For example taking and evening cruise to Flüelen will leave you with a 3 hour train ride back to Interlaken once you get to Flüelen.

Have you checked out the viability of your itinerary using the SBB Timetable http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

smnaren
    Participant
    13 posts
    14 September 2017 at 12:55:30 #869797

Hello rockyster,

Thanks for your inputs. since we want to cover as much as possible, i planned like the same. yes, it will take around 3hours to reach interlaken.

I planned reach luzern around 2:00PM completing Mt Titlis (not planning for titlis adventure park).

take train from lucrene to brunnen dep 2:06pm arr 2:53pm

after reaching Brunnen, take cruise at dep 3:20pm to reach Flüelen.at 4:07pm .

then planning to take train to luzern from fluelen at 4:51pm and reach luzern at 5:41 pm .

Will catch train to interlanken from luzern at 6:05pm and reach interlaken at 7:55pm.

I made plan based on SBB timetable and cruise timings.

Is it possible to cover ? when sunset during april & early month in swiss?

thanks

naren

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 September 2017 at 16:34:45 #869798

Hi Naren,

Yes, your plans are doable as you have planned them on the timetable. As Rockoyster said they are ambitious. There are some long/busy days for you, but you seem prepared for that. It is really up to each travelers to decide what they can or want to do each day.

Sunrise in late April is just after 06:00 and sunset is about 20:30.

Lucas

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    14 September 2017 at 20:10:36 #869799

Hi Naren,

Sounds like you have already applied a lot of thought to your trip. Two more observations:

1. You have a tight schedule and quite a few mountain tops. Perhaps give some thought to what you might do on those mountain top days if the weather is bad.

2. An 8-day STP is actually cheaper than 2 x 3-day.

Have a wonderful trip! 😎

smnaren
    Participant
    13 posts
    15 September 2017 at 4:41:20 #869800

Hi Lucas,

Thanks for your information.

How about the Weather during the Late April / Early May in general? Can we expect rains or cloudy conditions ?

One more question, How about typical dinner timings in restaurants in Interlaken region ?(Just to ensure that we get food when we arrive little late in evening).

Naren

smnaren
    Participant
    13 posts
    15 September 2017 at 4:53:14 #869801

Hi Rockyster,

Yes i was following this forum for few months and got lots of info from itineraries. Thanks for information shared by experts in this forum. Its very helpful.

Thanks for inputs on getting 8 day STP, it would really save some bucks to me.

Regarding mountain tops trips during bad weather condition, i kept my plan flexible. As suggested by experts in this forum, i will check with weather forecast one day before and choose my destination. if all mountain tops are cloudy in worst case, then i will schedule to visit montreux. Atleast I wish to see Matternhorn & Jungfraujoch on sunny day with clear skies.

In case, whole week is cloudy, Can you suggest some other options ?

– Naren

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 September 2017 at 15:28:56 #869802

Yes, I would be prepared for rain and clouds in April/May certainly. It may rain much but it will probably happen.

Restaurants in bigger towns are usually open until 9:30/10pm so you shouldn’t have a problem. If you get in later try to grab take away at the train station – the grocery stores like Migros and Coop are always good options for quick and cheap food but they often close by 8 unless there is one at the train station.

We have a list if activity options for most Swiss towns listed here. Click on the town and then click the “what to do” tab.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 September 2017 at 7:11:08 #869803

Hi Naren,

>> 6 day Switzerland trip in april 2018 … Schilthorn

When in April will you be there? The cable car to the Schilthorn will be closed for maintenance from 23 Apr till 27 Apr.

schilthorn.ch/en/Infos /Timetable__and__Tarif f

>> Day 4: Mt Pilatus

The cogwheel train from Alpnachstad to Pilatus Kulm won’t recommence operations after the winter break until the beginning or middle of May, but you can still go up and back in the gondola/cable car from Kriens if you are there before the cogwheel train reopens.

Alpenrose

smnaren
    Participant
    13 posts
    16 September 2017 at 15:43:20 #869804

Hi Lucas,

Thanks for your information on the late evening dinner option. I also checked the “what to do” section.

I am sure that they would be very useful.

– Naren

smnaren
    Participant
    13 posts
    16 September 2017 at 15:53:06 #869805

Hi Alpenrose,

Thanks of your pointing out issue in my itinerary.

In order to cover schilthorn, I will plan my trip in last week of april or early may.

I had chosen Mt Pilatus trip to experience world steepest cogwheel train ride.I will be missing the cogwheel train ride to pilatus 🙁 . As you suggested, i will take gondola from Kriens.

In that case, i can also consider Mt Rigi.

which is more scenic Mt Rigi or Mt Pilatus ? which is generally preferred ?

– Naren

Arno
    15471 posts
    16 September 2017 at 18:16:46 #869806

Hi Naren,

Mount Rigi and Pilatus are very different, and both are popular. If you take a look at our Rigi and Pilatus page you can find all details, and see if you like one more than the other. If money is a consideration: Mount Rigi is free with a Swiss Travel Pass, Mount Pilatus is 50% discounted (only free in 2017).

Depending on your exact travel dates you may indeed not be able to take the cogwheel train to Mount Pilatus. The opening date depends on the weather too, so be sure to keep an eye on it. You might be lucky! Likewise you can also be out of luck even after the official opening date. If the weather is bad it won’t operate. That happened to me once. I didn’t check, just went there, and found it to be closed. Lesson learned!

• The thread ‘6 days in April in Switzerland trip planning help’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.