Itinerary for trip (1 – 14 October)

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2016 at 7:59:52 #808998

Hi,

I’m traveling with a friend to Switzerland on 1 to 14 Oct. The flight ( Zürich IN/OUT) and the 1st night’s hotel were confirmed. Here is the draft Itinerary :-

01/10 Zürich > St. Gallen > Vaduz > Zürich . Stay: Zürich

02/10 Zürich > St. Moritz, PM (Diavolezza, Lake etc ) . Stay: St. Moritz

03/10 St. Moritz > Zermatt ( Glacier Express ) . Stay: Zermatt

04/10 Zermatt ( Klein Matterhorn, Schwarzsee ) . Stay: Zermatt

05/10 Zermatt ( Sunnegga & 5 Lakes ) . Stay: Zermatt

06/10 AM Zermatt (Gornergrat-Riffelsee ) , PM Zermatt>Chamonix . Stay: Chamonix

07/10 AM Aiguille du Midi , PM Chamonix to Geneva by airport transfer > Montreux . Stay: Montreux

08/10 AM Montreux > Interlaken, PM Interlaken-Grindelwald . Stay: Grindelwald

09/10 Grindelwald (Jungfrau-Kleine Scheidegg-Wengen) . Stay: Grindelwald

10/10 Grindelwald (AM First-Bachalpsee-Bussalp, PM-Männlichen-Kleine Scheidegg ) . Stay: Grindelwald

11/10 Grindelwald (Lauterbrunnen-Grütschalp-Schilthorn-Stechelberg ) . Stay: Grindelwald

12/10 Grindelwald > Interlaken > Lucerne . Stay: Lucerne

13/10 Lucerne . Stay: Lucerne

14/10 Lucerne > Zürich

The main question is if the time is enough to cover the above locations (especially on 7 Oct)?

Thanks and Regards

Ted

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    24 April 2016 at 17:31:05 #851176

Hi Ted –

I’m not really familiar with the routes in and near France and Geneva, so I’d have to look up all those trips in the timetable.

If you do it yourself, you can get an idea of how much flexibility you have.

If by some chance it does not give you a routing that you desire, you’ll see that it defaults to the fastest route. You can enter mid-points in the “via” or “connections” box to force it to your route:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ timetable

On the 8th, you’ll get routes through Bern unless you enter Zweisimmen in the “via” box.

You were wise to plan so many days in the Grindelwald area. If you have a day when the weather is not great for the Jungfraujoch, you can switch your itineraries around.

On your first day the travel times are easily possible. I’d allow some time to appreciate St. Gallen, and don’t know exactly what there is to see in Vaduz.

Are you a hiker?

Do you hope to ski?

Late October is the tail end of the Summer season in the high Alps. There is not much snow, but there may be some on the high trails. The winter season stares up on about December 15th.

In between, a lot of hotels and cableways are closed, although many facilities are still open.

I’d get specific with the time table on your chosen dates in the Bernese Oberland and the Valais to confirm that you can do what you plan to do.

Slowpoke

Arno
    15471 posts
    25 April 2016 at 6:10:59 #851177

Hi Ted,

Yes, most of your plans are doable, including those for October 7. You will be spending quite some time on train traveling and hotel/base town switches though. That’s perfectly fine if your main goal is to explore many Swiss regions within the available time frame, but I’d advise to make some back-up plans in case weather isn’t good enough to visit the mountain tops you’ve planned for specific dates. The timetable mentioned above will be a great help in detailed planning of each trip. Furthermore, I recommend to look into the 15 day Swiss Travel Pass. It will be very convenient and cover pretty much all of your train traveling, including urban transportation in the larger cities, and it will get you discounts for mountain tops. Please see our Swiss Travel Pass page for details, incuding a validity overview and purchase options.

• The thread ‘Itinerary for trip (1 – 14 October)’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.