Jaegerwurst & gluten/grain/dairy free hut-to-hut

• remyo
    Participant
    26 posts
    5 June 2013 at 11:13:24 #806045

Hello,

We are hiking for about 10 days through the Berner Oberland hut to hut.

Two in our group of 9 cannot eat wheat/grain/potatoes or dairy. We have contacted the huts to let them know but for snacks and supplements, we were planning on making pemmican (the Native American version of Jaegerwurst as I understand) and checking a lot of it individually wrapped in our bag on the plane.

However, I can’t find any information on the legality of bringing jerky or dried meat into Switzerland. It would be really great if I could just buy some Jaegerwurst when we get there, but there’s the issue of whether it contains additives (many do nowadays) and if it’s too expensive for us.

Does anyone have experience finding jaegerwurst in stores? We will be in Geneva for one day, then on to Murren and Gimmelwald, and then on to the trail.

Thanks!!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    8 June 2013 at 9:21:21 #838855

Hi Remy. As far as I know it’s not allowed to import animal products from other countries than the EU. Please check the Swiss Customs Administration info and contact them to know for sure. As for buying gluten free sausages in Switzerland: I’m sorry, but I would honestly not know. You can check the assortment of two of Switzerland’s largest supermarkets online: Coop and Migros, and see if they have anything available that matches your criteria. Local butchers may have such products as well.

remyo
    Participant
    26 posts
    10 June 2013 at 12:46:48 #838856

Thanks Annika,

I’ve had some luck with posters on the English Forum. Here’s the link in case anyone using this forum has similar inquiries 🙂

• The thread ‘Jaegerwurst & gluten/grain/dairy free hut-to-hut’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.