June multi-day backpacking trips around Martigny

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 April 2017 at 7:24:19 #811414

Hi friends!

My girlfriend and I will be travelling to Martigny (Charrat, specifically) in mid-June and are planning on doing multi-day backcountry trips in the Pennine Alps. We are looking specifically at Mont Fort, Grand Combin and la Ruinette. We will be arriving in Martigny on June 16th and hoping to trek until the 23rd (as we have a wedding to attend on the 24th).

We are wondering if backcountry camping is allowed in these areas as we will be bringing our camping gear. We are also curious about the huts in the area and how accessible, bookable and expensive they are. We are open to suggestion in terms of mountain, routes and accommodation.

I am also struggling to find trialguides/maps online of good routes in the area. Are there any good resources for these online? Or better to find them in country? Or better yet, any suggestions? We truly want to make the most of our short time in the area.

Thanks so much.

Mark

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 April 2017 at 8:54:10 #861609

Hi Mark and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I haven’t been to that area before so I can’t give you specific recommendations. A good online map resource however is: https://map.wanderland .ch and our own hiking page here.

For mountain hut information the best resource is the Swiss Alpen Club.

Back-country camping is not common in Switzerland – you will find camp sites that have RVs and tents mixed together mostly. Frankly from what I have found since living here is that strictly speaking it is generally not allowed but no one may hassle you in the end – perhaps other members know differently. Most land is private in Switzerland however – not like Canada where I dearly miss camping!

So even up in the mountains you will come across farms in which you could ask permission to camp nearby. Every canton and town here will have different regulations also, so it is hard to know for sure! Perhaps an email to Martigny Tourism would help for specific rules in the area.

Lucas

Arno
    15484 posts
    16 April 2017 at 17:28:50 #861610

Indeed camping outside the camp ground is basically not allowed, apart from a few exceptions in high terrain. You’ll find a bit more information on http://www.myswissalps.com/campsites/wildcamping.

• The thread ‘June multi-day backpacking trips around Martigny’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.