Jungfrau not included in Swiss Travel Pass?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 May 2015 at 19:04:18 #807309

So, I finally purchased the 3 day Swiss Travel Pass, which is supposed to give me access to rides on all trains, busses and boats (If i understand correctly, all modes of public transport) and provide entry to some museums.

But looks like the train from Interlaken to JungFrau is not covered and I have to pay for it separately? Somewhere around $200?

So i really wanted to know if JungFrau is really worth the extra $200. And what about the weather? I’ve been to many high mountains around the world to know that the weather may be so bad that nothing can be visible, never mind the season or time of the year. That being said, I hope it is possible to buy the Interlaken JunFrau ticket on the day of the trip at the station, and not be forced to book early totally unaware of weather conditions and finally forego the $200.

Suggestions appreciated. This is my first time in Switzerland and would like to add that the websites and train system info is very contradicting and confusing. I hope the travel itself is hassle free though 🙂

Cheers,

Ritesh

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7103 posts
    28 May 2015 at 19:12:19 #843503

Hi Ritesh,

With a Swiss Travel Pass, the ride from Interlaken to Jungfraujoch is free until Wengen and Grindelwald. From there to Jungfraujoch is discounted by 25%. Please see here for details.

This results in a ticket price CHF 132.75. I say it’s worth it on a sunny day. You can buy your ticket on the day itself. Please see the Jungfraujoch page for more information.

Enjoy the ride!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 May 2015 at 19:33:33 #843504

Thanks of the quick response Annika! I shall wait till the day of travel and plan JungFrau depending on the weather.

One more question, we’re planning on basing ourselves somewhere around Interlaken since we have a train out from Spiez to Venice on the last day. Any recommendations on towns to stay around Spiez/Interlaken? Something not too crowded but easily accessible too? We will be in Switzerland in the last week of June.

Cheers,

Ritesh

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    28 May 2015 at 22:49:13 #843505

What time does your train to Venice leave Spiez?

If you have time, staying south of Interlaken – as at Grindelwald, or Wengen, (or at Mürren but with less speedy rail connections) , would be a lot more interesting than Interlaken.

In my opinion. anyway.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2015 at 15:50:00 #843506

Leaves Spiez at 8:40 AM. But I do like the idea of staying in Grindelwald or Wengen.

Thanks for the suggestion, i’ll check if it is possible to get to Spiez in time for the train

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    29 May 2015 at 17:30:38 #843507

You’d have to leave Wengen at 0703, to get to Spiez at 0821. You could leave grindelwald at 0719 for the same arrival time at Spiez. Either way, you catch the 0800 at Interlaken Ost.

Should work,because the trains Wengen to Lauterbrunnen should not be delayed by slow tourists with lots of luggage a that hour.

Leave Wengen at 0642, arrive Spiez at 0750, time for breakfast.

Those choices would be a bit early for me, normally, but you’ll have a long train ride to get a nap later. 😉

I just looked at the trains from Spiez to Venice in the AM.

There is an 0838, with snack service. Change at Domodossola to a tain with a restaurant car.

Also, I note that the 0805 from Spiez looks like it is very very full.

There is some kind of event in Milan; get your reservations early.

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/extra-busy-trains-to-milan-may-to-october-2015

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2015 at 18:22:51 #843508

Yes, we are booked on the 0838 from Spiez tp Venice via Domodossola. So I guess we can make it in time from either Grindelwald or Wengen. Thanks for the details, i wasn’t aware of the Milan expo but worked out that we aren’t transiting there

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    29 May 2015 at 21:33:13 #843509

<<“Thanks for the details, i wasn’t aware of the Milan expo but worked out that we aren’t transiting there”>>

Right.

But the Spiez to Domodossola run is the best route to Milano from the area around Bern., and is one of the only two routes from Switzerland north of the Alps. If you are in Geneva, you can come along the Rhone Valley, via Brig, avoiding most of the Spiez-Visp-Brig part, but you still have to go through the Simplon tunnel to Domodossola.

• The thread ‘Jungfrau not included in Swiss Travel Pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.