Jungfraujoch ticket prices and journey durations

• Kenj
    Participant
    3 posts
    10 July 2022 at 0:38:14 #827729

Hi,

We have spent hours trying to figure out the rail systems, costs, and times by reading posts and forum questions. We are attempting to plan various day trips so we know where to go and when, along with which pass to buy. However, for Junfraujoch it’s still not crystal clear to me what we should do. So, please forgive me for what probably seems like a redundant question – we simply cannot make clear sense of the various information available.

We are staying in Grindelwald, but would like to attempt the full circuit via Wengen. We are traveling with a 7-month old so would like to make use of the fastest transportation.

I have some questions about the ticket available at the following link. https://shop.switzerlandtravelcentre.com/&currency=CHF#/en/product/excursionJungfraujoch.

1. Is the bus from our hotel (Bergwelt) to Grindelwald station included in this pass? If not included, how much does it cost with Swiss Travel Pass vs Half Fare? How do we buy tickets?
    2. From Grindelwald to Junfraujoch via Eiger Express. How long does this part of the journey take? I think 45 minutes?
    3. From Jungfraujoch to Wengen. How long does this part of the journey take? I think 1 hour 30 minutes.
    4. From Wengen back to Grindelwald. Is this leg of the journey included in this ticket? Is it a train, bus, or gondola? If not included, how much does it cost with Swiss Travel Pass vs Half Fare? Where do we book it? How long does it take?
    5. Finally, we plan to visit around August 2. We have read sometimes tickets sell out, but also to wait until you know if the weather will be good. How are tourism levels this summer? Are we at risk of the tickets selling out?

Thank you for the advice.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    10 July 2022 at 11:21:44 #944140

Hi Kenj, thanks for joining MySwissAlps. And no worries, we’re here to answer your questions!

The product you linked to (https://shop.switzerlandtravelcentre.com/en/product/excursionJungfraujoch) is a return ticket to Jungfraujoch. Details:

Some more tips to help you plan:

As for your questions:

1. The ticket you linked to does not include buses in Grindelwald. Buses in Grindelwald would be free with the Swiss Travel Pass and would be 50% off with a Swiss Half Fare Card. You don’t need tickets with a Swiss Travel Pass: just board and show your pass. If you do need (discounted) tickets, you can buy them at the train station or from the bus driver when boarding.

2. Grindelwald-Jungfraujoch via Eiger Express/Eigergletscher takes about 1h15.

3. Jungfraujoch-Wengen is 1h22.

4. No, Wengen-Grindelwald is not included in this return ticket. You can travel back to Grindelwald in 3 ways:

• With the cable car to Männlichen and the gondolas down to Grindelwald: https://www.myswissalps.com/mannlichen. This is 50% off with both rail passes. You can get your discounted tickets at the cable car valley station in Wengen.
    • With normal trains in the valley, via Lauterbrunnen and Zweilütschinen. This is free with the Swiss Travel Pass and 50% off with a Swiss Half Fare Card.
    • With cogwheel trains over Kleine Scheidegg. You’ll repeat part of your Jungfraujoch journey in that case. This is the longest option. The route is 25% discounted with a Swiss Travel Pass and 50% off with a Swiss Half Fare Card. You can get tickets at the Wengen train station upon showing your pass.

5. August is tourist high season. On days with good weather, Jungfraujoch tickets might get sold out. It helps to travel as early on the day as you can, or in the late afternoon. I recommend to check weather forecasts closely, and if weather looks fine get your tickets/reservations one or two days ahead. Please see https://www.myswissalps.com/jungfraujoch/tickets for:

Does this clear your doubts?

pvonk
    Participant
    385 posts
    10 July 2022 at 14:49:25 #944141

With a healthy infant It is advised to avoid going to places over 2500 m. Jungfrau Hoch is 3500 m. Something to consider, as altitude sickness can be a problem.

Kenj
    Participant
    3 posts
    10 July 2022 at 17:59:21 #944142

Thank you – these are both super helpful responses and answer all of my questions very clearly.

In regard to the safety of a 7-month old at that altitude, we have read varying opinions online and have posed the question to our son’s pediatrician. Thanks for bringing it up – wouldn’t want a sick baby on the trip if we can help it!

Kenj
    Participant
    3 posts
    16 July 2022 at 18:45:22 #944143

Our pediatrician connected with a travel doctor and they said our healthy 7-month old does not need altitude acclimation medicine, and don’t anticipate any issues being at that elevation for the day trip (if we were planning on being overnight at 11,000 feet they did recommend a visit with the travel doctor in advance). Obviously each parent should check with their own pediatrician, but leaving this information here in case anyone else is looking.

Arno
    15484 posts
    17 July 2022 at 9:37:33 #944144

Thanks for sharing Kenj! Happy to hear your doctor sees no harm in traveling to Jungfraujoch with your baby. I hope you enjoy the trip!

• The thread ‘Jungfraujoch ticket prices and journey durations’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.