Just Returned

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2011 at 7:28:46 #804418

Hello everyone,
    Just returned from 10 days in Switzerland. We stayed in Lauterbrunnen this trip. Our mornings were started looking past the church spire to Staubach and down the valley. A walk to the bakery for fresh bread and cheese to start the days. We couldnt have asked for a better trip. A few days of rain, and snow on June 1. Undeterred we made trips to Montreux for Castle Chillon, Spiez for Castle Spiez and Thun. Hikes and walks were fabulous. From First to Balchupsee and then to Grosse Shiedegg was stunning. Phingstegg to Baregg was a killer for me. Almost made it, but had to turn back, didnt have the legs for the last climb. But we did see avalanches at the glacier. I could go on, but I will say that two days back and we miss it and are already planing for trip number three in a few years…

Dave

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    5 June 2011 at 9:45:52 #833249

Hello Dave,

Thank you! Being a die-hard Bernese Oberland fan and “seeing” almost every step you made, I really enjoyed your post. My family and I also had to return where you had to return at Pfingstegg, but a couple of years later we made it. Sometimes you don’t want to do something your legs don’t want. Happy to read you could see the glacier!
    The hike First – Bachalpsee – Grosse Scheidegg is stunning indeed. Snow-covered mountains where ever you look.

Thanks for painting this picture in my head again!

Annika
    7116 posts
    5 June 2011 at 9:57:08 #833250

Hi Dave. Thank you for getting back to us! It’s great to hear about your experiences and you obviously enjoyed every second of your stay in Lauterbrunnen. You made some really nice hikes.

Having to return home after your holidays is sad indeed, but the best way to get over it is simply preparing for your next trip :-). I’m glad to hear that you’re able to visit Switzerland again!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 June 2011 at 14:52:24 #833251

I wonder if you stayed at the Valley Hostel in Lauterbrunnen. I have been there at least two times in the years past and loved it. For a small fee, you can stay in a room in the chalet, with a balcony. You share the bath and kitchen and that is a great way to meet others, during the meal prep time. We shared our food and made friends from around the world. There is also a dormitory style area which is cheaper, but the family style chalet is a great way to experience the area. You can take different routes each day and they are all wonderful–to Wengen, Meurren, etc. The folks at Valley hostel are very friendly and professional.
    joanne

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 June 2011 at 18:49:26 #833252

j. napoli,
    No, we didnt stay at the hostel, a bit tough to share a bathroom with the three girls and then everyone else… 🙂 We opted for a chalet of our own this trip. We did however meet the neighbours and they were fantastic. Traded stories and the like. Trip three is in the works for possibly as soon as next year with a side trip to Poland to see Aushwitz.. Cant wait..
    DaveB

• The thread ‘Just Returned’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.