Keto friendly food & restaurants in Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 December 2018 at 4:27:34 #819181

We are keto family. And we are looking for keto friendly restaurant/food in Switzerland. I’m worries about hidden carb/sugar in fondue

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 December 2018 at 11:00:42 #900364

Hi Nia77,

I can’t say there are specific restaurants that are “keto friendly” as a rule.

Is there specific foods you must avoid? In traditional fondue there is no added sugar or carbs beyond what is the cheese itself. Store-bought, packaged fondue could be different. Is cheese ok or specific cheeses ok/ not ok?

It sounds like dairy products are ok for you (though is only after a very quick Google search I just did!)

There is a Swiss shop that sells products and give information on Keto as well: http://www.ketoshop.ch/

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    14 December 2018 at 23:39:02 #900365

Hi Lucas-

I wondered aboutthat-

There can be a bit of cornstarch as a thickener in traditional fondues:

http://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-ab&q=how+to+make+fondu e

I have no idea how much can be tolerated by a “keto family.”

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 December 2018 at 8:48:47 #900366

Yes true, it depends on the restaurants preparation.

A shame that chocolate and beer are not allowed on this diet and they are in Switzerland. 🙁

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    15 December 2018 at 9:16:26 #900367

There are some nice Swiss wines………even the reds from several regions have gotten quite good in the past few years.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 December 2018 at 11:38:19 #900368

Yes, we had a few favourites that we can no longer consume with their export regulations. schade.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 December 2018 at 13:22:10 #900369

That is what I am concern of because I have read several receipts that have corn starchs in foundue. I am hoping that original foundue has no corn starch.

Since we are on a holiday, I think we can eat foundue but not very frequent. 😁

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 December 2018 at 13:27:16 #900370

Actually we can eat chocolate. We just have to choose low carb and sugarfree chocolate such as 90% or 99% Lindt dark chocolate.

And we can drink zero carb beer, dry wine, and other zero/low carb alcohol as well.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 December 2018 at 13:42:39 #900371

We just avoid carbs ( in any form ). And yess we can eat dairy ( cheese, whipping cream, etc ) as long as it doesn’t contain any carbs ( such as milk that contain lactose which is a form of sugar )

And thank you for information about ketoshop.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    15 December 2018 at 13:58:19 #900372

Hi Lucas –

I don’t know about export regulations, but very few if any Swiss wines…even the newer “prmium” reds are very tannic. Traditionally, the whites have not travelled well, and I suspect the reds are similar.

On the other hand, you’re not so far away these days. I guess the best advice is to travel back to the Bündner Herrschaft or la Cote with an empty suit case and return with a full one. 😉

Merry Christmas!

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 December 2018 at 18:10:17 #900373

Good idea!

Merry Christmas to you as well!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 December 2018 at 18:14:03 #900374

Hi Nia,

Good to hear on the chocolate and beer front. 🙂

I’m on a similar but much less strict “diet” where I don’t eat carbs for dinner and don’t eat between meals. Works very well for me but I eat fondue, carbs etc. for lunch and breakfast. 🙂 And I am not concerned about any carbs or sugar that, as you note, may be in milk etc. So as I said not as strict!

I don’t think you’ll have a huge problem. A lot of meat and dairy to choose from in Switzerland.

Maloja_Snake
    Participant
    82 posts
    16 December 2018 at 16:27:54 #900375

Hi Nia77 ,

I did a Keto Swiss trip in August and it was surprisingly easy. The Swiss have amazing meats and cheeses and most hotels had plenty of both on their breakfast buffets (along of course with various egg choices.) I stayed half-board at a 5 star hotel (The Waldhaus in Sils Maria near St. Moritz). I emailed the chef, and he prepared low carb menus for me to pick from. The dinner buffet had amazing low carb choices. But the best discovery was that the supermarkets had large and wonderful prepared meat and cheese choices. That worked perfectly as a fall back option. I should add that avocados were readily available.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    16 December 2018 at 21:48:22 #900376

Hi Maloja –

Not everyone will be so lucky as to stay at the Waldhaus, or have such an accommodating chef, but the helpful attitude is common throughput the Swiss tourist industry.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Keto friendly food & restaurants in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.