Lake Lucerne to Zermatt panoramic train journey

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 March 2019 at 22:59:20 #820517

My family will be in Lake Lucern this coming June. We are interested in taking a panoramic train to Zermatt. I read somewhere that this requires some train changes and such. (Of course I can’t find where I read that).Anyway, can you tell me the best way to go about booking such an excursion. We have purchased Swiss rail passes already.However, I understand we still have to purchase reservation in the trains. Also, can we bring luggage aboard these trains, as we would like to visit Zermatt for a few days. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    20 March 2019 at 23:18:07 #907097

Hello HermanFamily and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

The most sensible scenic route is Luzern to Zermatt via Interlaken and Kandersteg.

These are not panoramic trains so you don’t need reservations. With a Swiss Travel Pass just hop on and go.

Another option is Luzern to Zermatt via Andermatt. You will then travel on the same route as the Glacier Express but on regular trains.

Use the SBB Timetable (bit.ly/2HH1U7B) to plan your travel. If you are not familiar with using the timetable it will pay to first read the instructions on this page – http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable.

If you want to pay for reservations on the Glacier Express then have a look at “Glacier Express and Gotthard Panorama Express route in one day” on this page http://www.myswissalps.com/gl acierexpress/gettingth ere.

No problem carrying luggage whichever way your go.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 March 2019 at 23:58:11 #907098

Wow!Thanks! That is exactly the information i was looking for.

The idea of not having to prebook regular trains and taking the same route is a gem.

Thanks again

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 March 2019 at 1:38:36 #907099

A bit more information on the first route I mentioned.

From Luzern to Spiez you will travel on the Golden Pass route (http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass).

From Spiez to Brig (via Kandersteg) you will travel on the Regio-Express Lötschberger train over the traditional, more than 100 year old mountain route, giving you a wonderful view along the impressive peaks and down into the Rhone Valley.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 March 2019 at 1:39:39 #907100

I would advise you to limit your journey Luzern – Zermatt to the ‘regular’ route. You will see more than enough scenery going that way and it is not always a great idea to go ’round the houses’ on a ‘link’ day.

Step 1

Take a Luzern – Interlaken express hourly train from Luzern

Route: Brünig railway line

Views: various lakes, steep incline sections, fields, forest etc

Step 2

Change at Interlaken Ost into any train Interlaken – Spiez

Route: BLS railway Interlaken branch

Views: Thunersee (Lake Thun). Sit on the right hand side of the train on leaving Interlaken

Step 3:

Take the BLS Lötschberger unit train Spiez – Kandersteg – Brig

Route: Lötschberg mountain route

Views: spirals and loops at Blausee-Mitholz on the ‘north ramp’ between Frutigen and Kandersteg; famous view of Rhone valley on descent from Goppenstein to Brig (sit on the right hand side of the train to get this view)

Step 4:

At Brig, make your way out of the front of the station to the station forecourt. The Zermatt railway line platforms are situated in the street. Take the hourly Brig – Zermatt regional train

Route: Brig – Visp – Zermatt railway operated by MGB (Matterhorn Gotthard Bahn)

Views: Mattervispa river valley, river rapids, hillsides, valley, chalet gardens backing on to railway, smallholdings with goats and other animals, rack sections

1960 man – travelling Swiss railways for 59 years

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 March 2019 at 2:37:38 #907101

Quite. That’s why I said it was the “most sensible” scenic route.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 March 2019 at 13:08:05 #907102

Hi Herman family,

I think you have some excellent advice from Rockoyster and 1960man.

Here are a few links for further information on your pass and destinations:

To find out more about the Glacier Express route that was mentioned earlier, you can also visit http://www.myswissalps.com/gl acierexpress

All the best on your journey!!

Maria.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 March 2019 at 15:39:28 #907103

All of the Lötschbergers have larger windows than most, because the cars were recently renewed. Helps with the views.

There is a rail-trail along the part from Hohtenn to Brig. This link describes that hike. You won’t see all of that stuff from the train…might be a nice hike. Hot in the Summer.

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/bls-sudrampe-trail

Slowpoke.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 March 2019 at 17:23:12 #907104

Thanks for all these wonderful tips and suggestions.

cant wait to travel!,

• The thread ‘Lake Lucerne to Zermatt panoramic train journey’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.