Lake Thun or Lake Brienz

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 March 2012 at 3:08:48 #805045

Hi,
    I would like to ask if my swiss pass cover the river boat ride on both lakes? If i only can choose one of the lakes, which would you recommend. I found this website on the timing and prices for rides on both lakes but I do not understand a single thing on the timetable. Can anyone help me? I will be traveling to swiss at the end of May. I will be staying at interlaken so should i board the boat at Interlaken Ost?

What is Interlaken Ost BrS too? Sorry to have so many questions on this page. Thank you.

http://www.bls.ch/e/schifffahrt/fahrplan.php

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 March 2012 at 15:32:28 #835241

The Swiss Pass covers both lakes. If you have a second class pass you have to stay on the lower deck of the boats.
    Boats for Lake Thun leave from behind Interlaken West station. Boats for Lake Brienz leave from behind Interlaken Ost station.
    In my opinion the Lake of Brienz is more scenic. It has aqua green water and a waterfall at Giesbach. In Brienz you can visit the wood carving shops and factory.

You can return from Brienz, Thun or Spiez by train.

Dick

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 March 2012 at 17:24:28 #835242

hi, as Dick says the swiss pass is valid on both lakes so the good thing is you don’t have to choose – you can easily travel on both lakes on the same day! I suggest you catch a train from Interlaken West to Thun arriving in time to catch the 9.40 boat from Thun back to Interlaken West – it arrives in I.W. at 11.49, catch train from I.W. (11.53) to interlaken Ost arrives at 11.57, then catch boat from I.O. at 12.07, arriving in Brienz at 13.20. You can then wander around Brienz for one hour or two and catch boat back to I.O. at either 14.40 or 16.40 arriving back at 15.53 or 17.53. If you prefer to stay longer in Brienz you can catch train from Brienz to Interlaken. (you can find train times on the train timetable for which there is a link from this forum. All travel on boats and trains are covered by pass so this is a very inexpensive day out. You can buy light refereshments on the boats or I can recommend the little bakeries in Brienz for delicious cakes and pastries. Lake Brienz is indeed very picturesque but Lake Thun has interesting castles and harbours to see.so is also to be recommended. I do hope you enjoy your trip.
    Maggie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 March 2012 at 9:36:08 #835243

Wow thanks to all.. Good planning…

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 March 2012 at 0:36:08 #835244

Hi xunyicao,

I will add to what Maggie has suggested. Since you will be having Swiss Pass from Brienz you can visit beautiful Meiringen. From there visit Aare Gorge and Reichenbach fall. Here you can buy a combined ticket for both. You can do this around 3 hours from 14.00 to 17.00 and catch the train back to Interlaken.

By the way we will be doing this all on 29th May 2012. So let us hope we meet some where.

Atul

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 March 2012 at 9:59:28 #835245

Hi AtulBhide, where are you from?? Nice to meet you. Must we buy ticket to enter Aare Gorge and Reinchenbach fall? It is not included in the pass?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 March 2012 at 0:46:02 #835246

Hi Xunyicao,

Sorry to reply you late.

I am from India. Yes you have to buy tickets for Aare Gorge and Reinchenbach fall. It is certainly not included in Pass.

You can buy a combined ticket which will save you some cost. For details please visit following sites.

http://www.aareschlucht.ch/english/preise_e.htm
    http://www.reichenbachfall.ch/

Regards
    Atul Bhide

• The thread ‘Lake Thun or Lake Brienz’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.