Lauterbrunnen to Jungfrau and Glacier Express

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 April 2016 at 1:48:06 #808798

Hi

First, would like to thank Annika for my earlier question but need to ask a few questions.

I am buying the Swiss Travel Pass 8 Days, 5 of us. From Zurich will travel by train to Lauterbrunnen and will be stationed there from 15 Dec to 20 2016 Dec. Our next destination will be at Zurich from 20 Dec to 24 Dec 2016 before going back home.

We would like to go to Jungfrau from Lauterbrunnen and we came to know that we can go from Interlaken via Grindelwald, Kleine Scheidegg – Jungfrau and return via Kleine Scheidegg – Wengen to Lauterbrunnen . I would like to know from which route I need to pay for the train ride to go Jungfrau? Is it starts from Interlaken? My Swiss Pass Travel covers only until Interlaken? I understand with the Swiss Pass we only get 25% discount if we have a Swiss Travel Pass which cost CHF 135 per person. Is the price of CHF 135 one way or return? I hope I got this right.

I would like to know if we want to take the Glacier Express which will be the nearest point to take the train? Do we need to do booking at the Glacier Express? Where can we start our Glacier Express trip? Can we make it at one day then return back to Lauterbrunnen or we have to stay 1 night and take the next morning train to Lauterbrunnen.

I hope someone can assist me. Thank you and regards.

Leila

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    4 April 2016 at 6:11:58 #850241

Hi Leila,

What’s covered in the Swiss Travel Pass can be found on myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass/validi ty. From Lauterbrunnen, a discounted return trip to Jungfraujoch costs CHF 132.75.

The Glacier Express is too far away from Lauterbrunnen for a day trip. You can check whether you can do part of the Glacier Express, e.g. Brig to Chur. It would be a very long day and in December you would also travel in the dark part of the day. Staying one night in St. Moritz would make it a more enjoyable trip I think. Please see the Glacier Express page and the timetable:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 April 2016 at 6:44:07 #850242

Hi Arno

Thanks your prompt reply.

I will look into the link.

Thanks again

Leila

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    4 April 2016 at 21:32:18 #850243

Hi Leila-

As Arno mentioned, the days are short in Switzerland in December..

Sunrise will be at about 8 AM in December, and sunset at about 4:30 PM.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Lauterbrunnen to Jungfrau and Glacier Express’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.