Lauterbrunnen-Murren-Grindelwald-Wengen-Grutschalp

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 April 2016 at 11:24:03 #808871

Hi,

I am planning to stop over at the above towns as we ascend/descend from Jungfraujoch /Schilthorn. I know there are some falls in Lauterbrunnen. Does anyone know if these falls are accessible via public transport? (my mum is partially disabled).

What is there to do in Murren/ Grindelwald/ Wengen/ Gimmelwald ? is it worth getting off and spend some time in these towns?

Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 April 2016 at 20:29:58 #850580

The small but high Falls in Lauterbrunnen are in the ( very small ) town, about 10 minutes away from the railwaystation. You can walk to it by using the pavement.

The Trümmelbachfälle is about 3 kilometres away from Lauterbrunnen. You can get there by bus, which leaves from the railwaystation.

Info: http://www.truemmelbachfaelle .ch/information_anreis e.html

——————————————————————————————

Grindelwald, Wengen and Mürren are (very) small villages. There are only a few houses in Gimmelwald, it is not a town. A Grindelwald visit can you do in 45 minutes, Mürren and Wengen in 30 minutes.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    11 April 2016 at 1:29:06 #850581

Take a look at this.

http://www.myswissalps .com/forum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim

A bit of information that should be useful. 😉

Slowpoke

bouboucadeau
    Participant
    20 posts
    11 April 2016 at 1:49:33 #850582

i stayed in Lauternbrunnen back in February for alps experience.. and daytrips to Jungfraujoch and Shillthorn

the trip to the waterfall is walkable. 10 minute walk from the Luaternbrunnen train station, along the only main street… Stabbauch falls is on the right side..right after the only drinking pub.

Trummelbach falls in left side of the valley.. about 30 minute walk..

you can take the bus that loops around town.

i recommend Valley Hostel in Lauternbrunnen… 1 minute from train station….comfy, overlooking the train yards and alps.. affordable.

i recommend doing the Airtime Paragliding… stop by the Airtime cafe and arrange all your alp experience..ask for Beni, the owner of Airtime Paragliding…

tell them Borton from NYC sent you

enjoy

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 April 2016 at 11:08:37 #850583

>> What is there to do in Murren/ Grindelwald/ Wengen/ Gimmelwald ? is it worth getting off and spend some time in these towns?

Hi superdrpanda,

Yes, if you go up to the Jungfraujoch via Grindelwald and come down via Wengen, it is definitely worth getting off for a while at Wengen, strolling around the village and looking at the wonderful view. If your mother can manage a 10 minute walk, you can stroll through the village to a lookout near the Swiss Protestant church.

From the station, head left up the main street lined with shops and hotels, past the Hotel Silberhorn on the right, Männlichen cable car on the right, Hotel Bernerhof on the left, Hotel Schönegg on the right then take a path to the left – you will see the church (see attached map). From outside the church you have a wonderful view towards the Jungfrau massif and down into the Lauterbrunnen Valley. I think there is a seat there.

Alpenrose

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    11 April 2016 at 14:42:41 #850584

Hi Alpenrose, et al. –

The attached image was taken from a point a slight bit downhill from the church and viewpoint that you refer to.

It was taken from the point where the old cog rail tracks and the new tracks merged (or split). I think that they have now removed the old tracks….

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 April 2016 at 15:52:28 #850585

Yes, the old tracks from the second WAB-line between Wengen and Lauterbrunnen are removed.

Nice picture ! Greetings Brahms

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    11 April 2016 at 16:00:28 #850586

<<“Nice picture !”>>

Thanks- it took many visits to get a picture that was able to show the depth of the valley, in very clear air. Usually, it is a lot hazier.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 April 2016 at 16:13:04 #850587

hi all,

Thank you so much for your replies. I will departing tonight, feeling super excited. 🙂

Annika
    7103 posts
    11 April 2016 at 17:32:21 #850588

Have a wonderful stay in Switzerland! If you have time to post a trip report once you’re back that would be great.

• The thread ‘Lauterbrunnen-Murren-Grindelwald-Wengen-Grutschalp’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.