Lavaux vineyards: Chexbres to St Saphorin hike

• Mavy
    Participant
    17 posts
    16 June 2022 at 21:36:48 #827516

I am thinking of doing this part of the vineyards. Are the trails better suited to a hiking shoe or can I wear a comfortable sandal? Also, is there a place to stop along the way for a drink or is St Saphorin the first stop?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    17 June 2022 at 8:51:12 #943302

Hi Mavy,

For any hikes, I recommend good walking shoes or hiking sandals. The trail from Chexbres to St Saphorin is on asphalted road but mainly downhill so wear something with good grips. There are several village cafes and restaurants along the way so you have various options if you need a break.

This trail also takes you through the Lavaux vineyards: http://www.myswissalps.com/hiking/lutry-epesses

Regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2022 at 1:20:15 #943303

A comfortable ‘town’ shoe or sandal but with good tread should be enough as the route is on paved lanes between the vineyards.

I don’t think there are any cafes on the lanes between Chexbres and St Saphorin, but it is only 2 km so won’t take long.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2022 at 7:45:13 #943304

Hi Mavy,

I’ve made this route several times and sometimes wine cellars and bars were closed. If you miss the places, and would like to try some wine from the region, I recommend the Lavaux Vinorama.

Also if you are in the Lausanne-Vevey-Montreux region, almost every restaurant can serve you local wine (from the Lavaux area).

Make sure to bring sun lotion and water with you, there are not many shadows during the walk.

Ildiko

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2022 at 14:39:43 #943305

Yes, I agree about the heat. I did Grandvaux station to Cully station downhill through the vineyards in July one year and there was very little shade. And because it is paved roads the heat comes up off the surface.

Mavy
    Participant
    17 posts
    22 June 2022 at 16:19:47 #943306

Thanks everyone! It was HOT, but magnificent. I really value your time and responses.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2022 at 16:23:19 #943307

Hi Mavy,

I am glad to hear that you liked it. Please feel free to write us a post about your travel experiences once you arrived home. We would love to read it. You can find the trip report part of the forum here: http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/tripreports.

Take care,
    Ildiko

• The thread ‘Lavaux vineyards: Chexbres to St Saphorin hike’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.