Local train options on Glacier Express route

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 February 2018 at 14:08:26 #814532

Hi, how do I find out what local train options travel on same route as GEX? on a Friday in July we plan to take the 7:32 train from Lauterbrunnen to Brig arriving at 9:11, then transfer to GEX leaving at 9:18 to go to St. Moritz. We will have Swiss Travel Pass. Since now you can book reservations for specific parts of the route, wondered if we could take a local train for part of it that would be quicker and still give us same scenery?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 February 2018 at 14:42:56 #877345

Hi again Eurodani,

You can take a regional train. It won’t be quicker and you’ll have changes. If you use the Swiss train timetable you have to fill in Disentis in the via box. I would’t recommend going via Zurich, as the timetable will suggest if you don’t fill in the via box, because you will miss the panoramic part.

The regional train is not cheaper, it’s just that you don’t have to pay for seat reservation.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 February 2018 at 15:48:27 #877346

I don’t mind the seat reservation fee for GEX, I just thought we could cut down on our travel time a little and still see the same scenery. but if taking a regional train won’t be quicker, than it would be easier to just stick with the GEX the whole way. Thank you for your help.

• The thread ‘Local train options on Glacier Express route’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.