Local train options on Glacier Express route

Print this page
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
Feb 27, 2018 - 2:08 PM

Hi, how do I find out what local train options travel on same route as GEX? on a Friday in July we plan to take the 7:32 train from Lauterbrunnen to Brig arriving at 9:11, then transfer to GEX leaving at 9:18 to go to St. Moritz. We will have Swiss Travel Pass. Since now you can book reservations for specific parts of the route, wondered if we could take a local train for part of it that would be quicker and still give us same scenery?

Chantal
Chantal
944 posts
top member
Feb 27, 2018 - 2:42 PM in reply to Removed user

Hi again Eurodani,

You can take a regional train. It won't be quicker and you'll have changes. If you use the Swiss train timetable you have to fill in Disentis in the via box. I would't recommend going via Zurich, as the timetable will suggest if you don't fill in the via box, because you will miss the panoramic part.

The regional train is not cheaper, it's just that you don't have to pay for seat reservation.

Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
Feb 27, 2018 - 3:48 PM in reply to Chantal

I don't mind the seat reservation fee for GEX, I just thought we could cut down on our travel time a little and still see the same scenery. but if taking a regional train won't be quicker, than it would be easier to just stick with the GEX the whole way. Thank you for your help.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018