Lucerne hotel question and Sunday activities

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 April 2018 at 21:30:48 #815293

Need some advice! Traveling with my husband and 28 year old son for 8 nights in Switzerland (first time)!! We will be coming from Grindelwald (taking Golden Pass Line) and staying 2 nights in Lucerne (Saturday and Sunday–September 8 to 10th). We plan on going on a boat ride and traveling to Mt. Rigi, trip to Stanserhorn (free with STP) and maybe Mt. Pilates. Also would like to go to Chapel Bridge and Hofkirche (church). Will any of these things be closed on a Sunday?

I’m trying to decide between:

1. Garni Hotel Drei Könige

2. Tourist City & River Hotel

The Tourist City Hotel looks like it is farther away from train station (maybe 15 minutes). This hotel has mixed reviews (some people rave about it and some think it is horrible and nothing like pictures on website).

The Garni Hotel has great reviews about the friendly people who work there and they have been great communicating with me and answering my questions promptly.

Any thoughts on either location? We would like to be near some nice restaurants (but in a quiet location). I’m sure my son would probably like to be able to walk to some local bars. Any reasonable local restaurant/bar recommendations? I know I have this one was recommended- http://www.rathausbrauerei.ch.

Neither hotel has a/c but hopefully fans will be enough in September. Both are same price. Thanks so much for taking the time to give me your input/advice.

Gail

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 April 2018 at 15:02:47 #882112

Hi Gail,

I’m not a Lucerne expert but both locations are good I think. They are both quite close / in the downtown core so you shouldn’t have problems finding restaurants or bars nearby. I’ll leave restaurant recommendations to those you have stayed there. I’ve only made day trips there so far.

If you’ve gotten good service from Hotel Drei Könige I’d go there! Weather should be quite reasonable at that time and it is unlikely you’ll need A/C.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 April 2018 at 21:46:19 #882113

Thanks for your input Lucas! I’m looking forward to our September trip.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 April 2018 at 0:05:15 #882114

>> staying 2 nights in Lucerne (Saturday and Sunday–September 8 to 10th). We plan on going on a boat ride and traveling to Mt. Rigi, trip to Stanserhorn (free with STP) and maybe Mt. Pilates. Also would like to go to Chapel Bridge and Hofkirche (church). Will any of these things be closed on a Sunday?

The only limitation might be visiting the church (open 7 am to 7 pm daily), as you will need to avoid service times – or else blend in with the congregration and don’t do tourist things during the service 😉

>> Any thoughts on either location? We would like to be near some nice restaurants (but in a quiet location). I’m sure my son would probably like to be able to walk to some local bars

Being in a quiet location and close to restaurants and bars is usually mutually exclusive 😉 Especially on a Saturday night! I would always prefer to be centrally located though, regardless.

Alpenrose

swissman
    Participant
    13 posts
    15 April 2018 at 17:18:11 #882115

Hi Gail,

I would recommend the pizza restaurant at the Hotel Weisses Kreuz, if you like brick fired pizza. Better go early, as they get crowded around meals. Been there many times and never disappointed. It is near the covered bridge just up from the waterfront, and in the old town with cobblestone streets. No cars allowed. It is walking distance from train station and boat dock in Luzern. Great city!

Steve

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 April 2018 at 17:47:21 #882116

Thanks for the pizza recommendation Steve. We usually don’t like to eat at hotels, but this sounds great.

Gail

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 April 2018 at 18:35:12 #882117

Thanks Alpenrose! I’ll let my son walk to the bars in order to have a quieter night sleep! Good point about finding a hotel that is centrally located.

Gail

andrew
    Participant
    147 posts
    20 April 2018 at 19:49:37 #882118

Hi Gail,

We’ve stayed twice in the Drei Könige, once in the winter and once in the summer during a very hot spell. We were very comfortable on both occasions and there was a large fan in the room during the summer visit. There are also ice machines on the landings. The staff were very pleasant and helpful and even arranged for us to see the model railway in the attic.

It took about 10 minutes to walk from the main station but there’s also a bus stop just round the corner for a bus straight to/from the station.

Have a good trip.

Andrew

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2018 at 18:15:49 #882119

Thanks so much for letting me know about your stay at Drei Konige Andrew. I’m glad it wasn’t too hot and that you had a pleasant stay. I’ve read about the trains in the attic. The staff do seem very responsive and nice.

Andrew, I did book this on booking.com. Is it worth emailing this hotel to see if I can book directly with them? I think I read that you recommended booking directly with the hotel? Do you have an email?

Gail

andrew
    Participant
    147 posts
    23 April 2018 at 19:11:26 #882120

Hi Gail,

I hesitate to put an email address here, even one in the public domain but I’m sure you’ll know what I mean by Hotel at Drei-Koenige dot ch

As far as I can remember (it was 3 or 4 years ago) we booked the second time directly with the hotel. I find it’s often cheaper that way and, even when it’s not, I’m convinced direct bookers get better service in Swiss hotels.

Enjoy your visit.

Andrew

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2018 at 19:14:04 #882121

Okay. I understand. I will try and email them and reference my booking number and see what they say if the rate changes if I book directly with them.

Gail

• The thread ‘Lucerne hotel question and Sunday activities’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.