Lucerne itinerary

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 March 2012 at 20:44:21 #805169

Hi,

I will be in Lucerne from 1 May to 4 May 2012. I have 2 full days in Lucerne because the 1st and the 4th May, I will be traveling in and out of Lucerne. Therefore, I have allocated 1 day for Mt Pilatus and 1 day for Mt Titlis.
    For Pilatus, I read about the Golden round trip but I found out that the cogwheel train only starts operating on 6 May onwards. In this case, how do I get to Pilatus? By the way, I have bought the 4 day Swiss pass.
    I read from a post that a boat trip over lake Lucerne would be free with a Swiss Pass. How do I fit this in if I would go to Mt Pilatus and take the boat trip over lake Lucerne on the same day? Shall I do the boat trip after I come down from Mt Pilatus or before?
    Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    25 March 2012 at 5:56:18 #835791

Hi silverfish12,

You can get to the top of the Pilatus through a gondola ride as well. It starts in Kriens, a suburb of Lucerne, and the timetable can be found on pilatus.ch. You can best check the weather forecast the evening before, and plan the Pilatus trip in the better (clear) half of the day and the boat trip in the remaining half. For Lucerne information and hotels there, please check this page.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 March 2012 at 6:12:58 #835792

Hi Arno,
    Thank you for the info.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 April 2012 at 3:56:48 #835793

Hi,

I need some advise. I am travelling to Lucerne and will be there on 30th April. We plan to go up Mount Rigi taking the boar ride till some point(Vitznau ) and then take the cogwheeel train from there to the peak and come back by cable car. We leave Lucerne on 1st May, short trip.
    I heard of a combi pass which i can buy at the bahn in Lucerne for boat+train+cable car . Please can you let me know if i can buy these passes on 1st May and if the services will be available as its a public holiday?
    Also can you let me know the price of these passes and also help me plan the trip up Mt.Rigi and down better, like the boarding points of the cog wheel train , cable car etc…

Thanks,Gayu

Annika
    7116 posts
    25 April 2012 at 10:11:10 #835794

Hello Gayu! I think the Rigi website will answer most of your questions. You’ll find information fares and tickets there. I didn’t come across the combination ticket you mentioned (such a thing is available for Pilatus; could that be the ticket you heard of?) Timetables are listed too; the services will run on May 1. The general Swiss timetable and the boat company website for lake Lucerne may be helpful as well.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 April 2012 at 17:25:05 #835795

Thanks a ton. If there is no single ticket then please can you help me plan the trip up Mt.Rigi and down.
    I want to take the cruise ride in luzern lake.Then take the cogwheel train up the mountain. Then come down by the cable car. Please can you tell me the points of boarding and the rates .

Thanks,Gayu

Arno
    15483 posts
    28 April 2012 at 11:46:30 #835796

Hi Gayu,

I guess you’d have to purchase a separate ticket for the boat. The Rigi railways may be able to sell you a combined ticket for the train and the cable car, but I would suggest to check out their website and contact them if you want to know about the details in advance.

• The thread ‘Lucerne itinerary’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.