Lucerne – Milan (William Tell Express details)

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 July 2015 at 8:36:40 #807646

Hi Arno/Annika and other members,

I am planning to a travel from Lucerne to Milan on 29th August morning. After some research, I got to know the following routes possible:

1) Bernina Express: Lucerne – Chur (Intercity) – Tirano (Bernina Express) – Milan (Intercity) – Time:8hrs. Also, as per the SBB travel site, there is only one Bernina express mentioned leaving Chur at 8:32 Am. Is it only one Bernina express that runs daily? After that, all trains mentioned are regional trains. Please help so that I can plan leaving Lucerne in time to reach Chur before 8.32.

2) William Tell Express: Lucerne – Brunnen (Intercity to avoid cruise) – Bellinzona/cadenazzo (William Tell Express) – Lugano (intercity/Direct to – Milan central).

Or Direct train from Bellinzona – Milan central. Which is better? Is it okay to leave the last leg i.e Bellinzona – Locarno.

The problem is that I am not able to find Williamtell Express on SBB website from Brunnen to Bellinzona. Is any train going on this route is known as William Tell or there is a special train? Please help with the schedule (start time and travel time) so that I can plan my trip accordingly. How can I know the journey time from Brunnen to Bellinzona or Locarno (if the last leg is also scenic).

3) Lucerne – OLten – Milan Central (Direct train) – Is this route also scenic? It is definitely faster (4.15 hrs only) There is no mention about it on any site and route of direct train from Olten to Milan centrale. I believe they leave from Chiassio or Domossodola. Please correct me if I am wrong.

4) Luzern – Arth-Goldau – Milan (Direct train). – Is this route also scenic? There is no mention about it on any site and route of direct train from Arth Goldau to Milan centrale.I belive they leave from Chiassio or Domossodola. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I am planning to buy an additional day (3 day to 4 day) on swiss pass. I believe the pass cost will be best used if I take Bernina Express or William tell express. Please help me in deciding my travel from Lucerne to Milan.

Thanks

Vinay

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 July 2015 at 17:50:40 #844837

Hi guys, no replies.. I just need this information and I will go ahead and book the passes.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Annika
    7104 posts
    29 July 2015 at 19:05:30 #844838

Hi vinay1283!

Please be patient. All questions will be answered, but we can’t always do it within a few hours. We’ll get back to you as soon as we can!

Annika
    7104 posts
    30 July 2015 at 7:12:53 #844839

Hello vinay1283,

You can find links to special timetables on our Bernina Express and Wilhelm Tell Express pages. You can best check them yourself to verify all details. There are a few Bernina Express trains per day in Summer, but there’s indeed only one direct connection leaving Chur at 08:32, and that would be the most convenient option for you. As you’ll see, you can also catch up with a later train that follows a slightly different route (Davos-Pontresina-Tirano), but that’s not easier for you.

Two Wilhelm Tell Express connections run each day in Summer, one leaving from Lucerne at 09:12 and one at 11:12. You should certainly pick the first one if you’re fond of this route, since you have a long way to go. It’s correct that trains from Brunnen to Bellinzona aren’t marked as Wilhelm Express trains, since the leg Brunnen-Flüelen officially isn’t part of this route; the Wilhelm Tell Express as far as Flüelen is traveled by boat. However, it’s no problem to travel roughly the same route by regular trains and leave out the boat trip. The alternative via Arth-Goldau doesn’t differ greatly from this route: the first part doesn’t run over or along the lake, and that’s the main difference. From Brunnen/Flüelen onwards you’ll follow the same leg to Bellinzona with the same views.

The connection via Olten is a bit less scenic in my opinion, but a very convenient route to Milan. So it’s really a matter of personal preference, and you’ll have to decide whether you prefer a longer or shorter option. As discussed in your previous topic, each alternative will cause a 4 day Swiss Travel Pass to be cheaper than a 3 day variant for you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 July 2015 at 8:54:52 #844840

Thank Annika and apologies for being impatient earlier.

I have finally planned to travel by Bernina express as my reading suggests that it is too good to miss on Swiss tour. Only problem is the time table.

To catch 8:32 train from Chur, I will have to take the train from Lucerne at 6:10 reaching Chur at 8:22 leaving us at platform 9. I am skeptical if ten minutes are enough to change the train and board 8:32 Bernina express from platform 10? We will be travelling with 2 luggage bags.

If I take 5:28 train from Lucerne to Chur, the change at Thaliwal is only 6 mins. Please find attached the screenshot of the time table.

Please suggest.

Arno
    15471 posts
    30 July 2015 at 14:24:39 #844841

Hi Vinay,

Personally I would take the later train. Ten minutes is plenty of time, and track 9 and 10 are on the same platform. Crossing the platform takes one minute. If the train is a bit late the Bernina Express usually waits for it. If it’s really late it won’t.

You can check the prior evening and the same morning if any delays are expected: http://www.sbb.ch/en/timetabl e/rail-traffic-information.html.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 July 2015 at 17:53:58 #844842

I will definitely share my experience and knowledge after my return.

Thanks again!!

• The thread ‘Lucerne – Milan (William Tell Express details)’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.