Lucerne to Zermatt and return in one day?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Samo
Samo
12 posts
May 31, 2018 - 1:09 PM

I am staying in Lucerne. Is it possible to make a one day trip to zermatt and return the same day? Would there be enough time to take the cable car to Matterhorn during the trip? I really don’t want to miss Zermatt! I would welcome any other suggestions if Zermatt trip was not possible!

Thanks

Lucas
Lucas
10496 posts
top member
May 31, 2018 - 2:20 PM in reply to Samo

Hi Samo,

It would be fine, you'll just have a long day (3 hours each way). https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable

You can then take a cable car up to either Gornergrat or Klein Matterhorn/Glacier Paradise for views of the Matterhorn (there is no way to go up the Matterhorn itself).

1960man
1960man
1581 posts
top member
Jun 1, 2018 - 12:03 AM

The Gornergrat is a rack (US English = cogwheel) railway not a cable car, Klein Matterhorn is a cable car.

Because Klein Matterhorn goes from a base station at the opposite end of the village from the main railway station, Gornergrat is the easier place to go to on a long day trip from Luzern.

Here's what the view of the Matterhorn looks like from the Gornergrat summit:

Please login to see the attached documents

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019