Lugano to Varenna via bus and ferry

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 July 2019 at 20:36:48 #822908

My wife and I will be traveling from Murren on Sunday, Sept 15th to Varenna. It looks like it will take about 6 hours to get to Lugano to arrive 14:41. I believe the bus station is next to the train station and it appears that on Sunday the postal bus 631 leaves at 15:36 so no issues yet. We will have STPs so I just need to make a reservation for the bus to Menaggio. Questions: I have not purchased STP yet as we do not leave until Sept 7 but do I need that to make a reservation? Is there an English site where I can make the reservation? How far out do you think I need to make them – is 2 weeks safe? Is the bus stop in Menaggio walking distance to ferry with easy luggage? What am I missing? It will be a pretty long day but looks to be an adventure and dinner in Varenna should be good :). Any advice? Thanks for reading through my first (long) post.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 July 2019 at 23:56:45 #918080

I can’t see a 14.41 arrival in Lugano in any current timetable.

I can see a bus 631 at 15.31 Lugano – Menaggio

The bus goes from Lugano Stazione Nord which as the name suggests is a few minutes north from the railway station entrance

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 July 2019 at 2:32:38 #918081

Thanks for double checking for me. I see the train we plan to take arrives at 14:26. On the SBB site one can click on the connection between the train and bus. It shows. 4 minute walk. Very close. Nord sounds like a different location which is confusing.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 July 2019 at 23:51:39 #918082

It is indeed a different location, but that is not the same as it being far away!

In many Swiss railway stations, buses leave from directly outside the station exit door so the the bus stops are not called anything different. This is not the case at Lugano so the authorities, sensibly, designate it as a different location. Ironically that is designed to make it less, not more confusing!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 July 2019 at 19:40:42 #918083

Funny, kind of :). Is there a site to make reservations for the bus in English?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    19 July 2019 at 21:17:14 #918084

Try here. I couldn’t actually get the reservation links to work but at least it provides contact details.

Annika
    7124 posts
    20 July 2019 at 9:27:19 #918085

Hi Brdoo,

You don’t have to have your Swiss Travel Passes yet while reservering your bus seats. As long as you can show them while traveling, you’re good to go: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/howtouse.

The reservation link on the web page provided by Rockoyster didn’t work indeed, I’m not sure why. I found another PostBus reservation form though, maybe you succeed using this one: http://www.reisemarkt. postauto.ch/. Further information and links can be found at http://www.myswissalps.com/bu s/reservations.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 July 2019 at 16:04:02 #918086

Thank you Annika. Worked perfectly. I thought there would be a reservation charge but there is none. I received an immediate confirmation.

Annika
    7124 posts
    21 July 2019 at 7:22:28 #918087

Glad to hear that, Brdoo!

• The thread ‘Lugano to Varenna via bus and ferry’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.