Lugano to Zermatt with Swiss Travel Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 January 2019 at 3:44:38 #819437

Hi,

I want to travel from Lugano to Zermatt. What is the best way and in minimum time to reach there. I will be purchasing Swiss travel pass. So is it possible that the route is covered by it

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    11 January 2019 at 4:39:42 #901899

The the SBB Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) will give you the most direct route by default. All routes are free with Swiss Travel Pass provided they are shown as free on the Area of Validity map ( PDF downloadable from http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity).

The fastest route will most likely send you via Milan so in that case the trains in Italy are not covered.

Try searching for via Andermatt or Locarno to see some routes that are fully covered. The Centovalli Express from Locarno to Domodossola is fully covered even though it traverses Italy in parts. Via Locarno will be the fastest route fully covered by the STP.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 January 2019 at 7:24:36 #901900

Thansk rockoyster.

I searched both from Lugano->Andermatt -> Zermatt and Lugano-> Locarno->Domodossola .After Domodossola will I have to move to Brig or there is direct route under STP.

Also Lugano -> Andermatt I guess is not fully covered in STP ? I checked cdn-doc.myswissalps.com/do cs/default-source/rail-network-maps/swisstravelsystem .pdf?sfvrsn=7788603a_36

The line from Göschenen to Airolo is shown with Red dotted line, which I suppose is not covered.

What exactly Red, Yellow, White and Black line means on this map ? I could only see Red and Yellow. Dotted I assume they are covered 50%.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    11 January 2019 at 8:30:43 #901901

Red are trains, black are cable cars, yellow are buses and white are boats. The dots you think you see from Göschenen to Airolo are in fact dashes which mean you are in a tunnel. Dashes have no effect on the STP coverage. My advice – go via Locarno.

• The thread ‘Lugano to Zermatt with Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.