Luggage safety and vegetarian food in trains?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 July 2015 at 14:43:53 #807659

Since I will be a solo traveler and looks like its a long journey from munich to interlaken ost, considering all the transfers and trasfer times, I was wondering how safe is to leave luggage unattended while visiting restroom/bathroom or restaurant in the train?

And can you comment on vegetarian food options on the train restaurant or train stations? Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    30 July 2015 at 23:30:14 #844879

<<“Since I will be a solo traveler and looks like its a long journey from munich to interlaken ost, considering all the transfers and trasfer times, I was wondering how safe is to leave luggage unattended while visiting restroom/bathroom or restaurant in the train?”>>

International trains have different set of passengers than Swiss trains. Makes it harder to generalize.

Definitely, make sure all really important things are in a small bag that you always have with you.

Try to time your absences from your luggage such that there are no stops ( or major stops) while you cannot watch your luggage.

Consider fastening all bags together, as a temporary management tool.

Slowpoke

Arno
    15484 posts
    31 July 2015 at 13:42:05 #844880

Simply avoiding meat (I think it’s called lacto ovo vegetarians) is easy in Switzerland. Nearly all restaurants (except may be steak houses) have at least one vegetarian dish, or can prepare one if it’s not on the menu. If the train has a restaurant there will also be vegetarian food. Supermarkets at the rail station or elsewhere offer plenty of choice as well. Avoiding all diary products is more difficult.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 July 2015 at 14:03:39 #844881

thanks slowpoke and arno for your responses. really appreciate it.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    31 July 2015 at 14:11:59 #844882

<<“Avoiding all diary products is more difficult.”>>

Indeed.

It is hard to think of Switzerland without cows or cheeses.

I can say that almost any substantial take-out place in the larger train stations or cities (Migros; COOP, maybe Denner- I have not looked at them) has vegetarian items on the buffet and in the selection of prepared foods. There is a significant interest among my Swiss friends and their acquaintances in eating “healthy” food, which includes vegetarian. In some form or another, there is some vegetarian offering at any food source much bigger than a sausage stand.

• The thread ‘Luggage safety and vegetarian food in trains?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.