Luzern and Bern on a Sunday

• needforsneed
    Participant
    36 posts
    15 May 2018 at 15:03:26 #815990

Hello Everyone!

I just realized that I may have messed up part of our itinerary – we arrive in Luzern Sat evening June 2 and had planned on exploring Luzern part of the day on Sunday June 3 and then taking the train to Bern to explore there in the afternoon/evening. I have seen some posts on here about things being closed on Sundays. Is this a bad day to explore these 2 cities?

Thanks!

Mark

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 May 2018 at 15:28:02 #885320

Hi Mark,

It depends a bit on what you would like to do. Shops are closed. When the weather is nice I quite like Lucerne on a Sunday. It’s lively on and around the lake. I find Bern a bit boring on Sundays (and Mondays). I like it when a city is lively.

needforsneed
    Participant
    36 posts
    15 May 2018 at 15:31:34 #885321

Thanks Chantal! Is everything closed on Sundays or would museums and other points of interest be open? Not really sure yet what we are going to do in Bern so we are open to suggestions for a Sunday!

What about Spiez and Thun on a Sunday? We were going to go there on Tues, but maybe Sunday would be better. Would castles be open on Sunday?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 May 2018 at 16:09:41 #885322

Points of interest will be open. I very much like the Paul Klee museum in Bern and the Rose Garden.

Thun and Spiez isn’t a bad idea at all. Spiez is very small and everything will be closed in Thun, but it’s nice to have a walk at the lake or to do a boat trip on Lake Thun. Castles will be open to0.

You could even consider a trip to Blausee. The lake is very small, but it is kind of special. There’s a trip report here: http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/blausee-and-brig-2-days-1-night.

needforsneed
    Participant
    36 posts
    15 May 2018 at 17:35:08 #885323

Thanks again Chantal! I think we will switch our days – I guess it depends on weather too as we are supposed to go to Schilthorn on Monday that week, but will leave it open to change if necessary.

I just saw you are leaving MySwissAlps – thank you for your advice/information and good luck in your next adventure!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 May 2018 at 17:54:23 #885324

Thank you Mark.

I wish you a very nice trip!

needforsneed
    Participant
    36 posts
    15 May 2018 at 17:56:43 #885325

Thanks! Can’t get here soon enough…

• The thread ‘Luzern and Bern on a Sunday’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.