Best schedule for hike Männlichen-Kleine Scheidegg

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 April 2019 at 5:22:56 #821106

HI,

We are visiting Joungfrau region in Mid July. Mostly planning to stay in Lauterbrunnen. Will be buying swiss half card. I plan to do Mannlichen Klein Sceidegg hike. I have narrowed down two excursions with which I can combine it. Please guide me with these questions.

1..I plan to go to Joungfraujoch. On my way back, when I arrive at KS train station from Joungfraujoch, would it make sense to hike down to Mannlichen and then take Gondola to Wengen and train to Lauterbrunnen. In this case, will I be walking in opposite direction and will not be able to enjoy magnificent views of Eiger, Monch and Joungfrau mountains?

2..If In the above case, if I am walking in opposite direction and don’t get the view, considering this second option : Visit Joungfraujoch, take Joungfraujoch-KS-Lauterbrunnen train, Get down at Wengen, then take Wengen-Mannlichen gondola, Hike till KS, return to Lauterbrunnen by taking KS-Lauterbrunnen train. In this option I’ll be traveling twice on KS-Lauterbrunnen route within few hours, on the same day. My question is: Can I travel twice on same route with same ticket or buy different ticket each time

3..On another day, I’ll be doing Lauterbrunnen-Muurren-Schilthorn_murren_Grutschalp-Lauterbrunnen loop. Can I reach mannlichen from any of these places? Or I’ll have to finish the loop, arrive at Lauterbrunnen station and take another train to Wengen and thereon Mannlichen gondola and KS hike

Please suggest which option makes more sense. Thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 April 2019 at 6:30:59 #909932

1. It’s better going Männlichen to KS for the views.

2. Nice try, but you would need two tickets.

3. The loop is on the other side of the Lauterbrunnen valley so you would need to return to Wengen to reach Männlichen.

What about another option? Wengen to Männlichen then hike to KS then Jungfraujoch?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 April 2019 at 6:54:56 #909933

Thanks Rockoyster for suggesting a wonderful option of Wengen to Mannlichen and then HIke to KS n Joungfraujoch. Why didn’t I think of that before :).

So if I follow that route, and board from KS to go to Joungfrau, is it easy to get seats on the train from KS, or trains get full when they leave lauterbrunnen and Wengen. We are family of 4, traveling in peak tourist season and will not be reserving tickets in advance

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 April 2019 at 7:01:48 #909934

Oops :). Forgot that at KS, I’ll be boarding another train and not the one which comes from Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald. Please ignore my previous question

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 April 2019 at 8:35:08 #909935

You can actually make reservations for KS to Jungfraujoch. See bit.ly/2JQKKSh.

Annika
    7124 posts
    21 April 2019 at 10:33:44 #909936

Hi Jakay. That’s correct, the trains leaving to Jungfraujoch from Kleine Scheidegg are separate from those operating between Grindelwald/Lauterbrunnen and Kleine Scheidegg. However, in high season the trains to Jungfraujoch can fill up over the course of the day. Especially if you start your day with a hike from Männlichen, and thus don’t leave for Jungfraujoch early, trains may simply be full. If this happens, it will most probably be on clear sunny days in July and August. So seat reservations might be worth your consideration: myswissalps.com/jungfr aujoch/tickets. This means you’ll have to time your hike from Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg carefully and allow for enough time to arrive at Kleine Scheidegg early enough.

• The thread ‘Best schedule for hike Männlichen-Kleine Scheidegg’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.