Accommodation along Via Alpina Ulrichen – Vernayaz

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 August 2012 at 10:06:21 #805531

Greetings all. I have an upcoming trip to Switzerland for a backpacking trip (September 10th-22nd). I am thinking of doing the R94 to R107 stages of via-alpina red trails. This is from Ulrichen to Vernayaz (I think it is in the Wallis area). If I can’t do it (physically), I’ll cut it short.

I haven’t been to Switzerland (or europe) before. So I have many questions:

1. I’m planning to camp more than half the time to save on accommodation cost. I couldn’t find too much info on this, is camping allowed? I’m planning to camp at/around the towns/villages that the stages pass.
    2. I will be staying in a hut every other night. Can I assume there will be shower?
    3. Can I buy just (hot) food from the huts without staying in?
    4. Is there access to electricity in the huts so that I can charge my batteries?
    5. What about internet (wifi, I will be carrying my iPad)?
    6. Do people in the towns/villages speak English?
    7. Can I find a topo map with via-alpine route marked on it?
    8. Should I carry Euro or CHF?

Thanks in advance!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    11 August 2012 at 11:39:31 #836928

Hi Ehran,

Answers to some of your questions:

1. Camping is typically only allowed in designated campgrounds. Most all land is privately owned therefore you can’t just put your tent down anywhere.
    2. Depends entirely on the hut, but usually no showers. Some don’t even have electricity.
    3. Usually, yes.
    4. Usually not
    5. Not in huts. Sometimes small villages have an internet cafe or, more often, a tourist office or bar where you can get internet access for a fee.
    6. Mostly yes, sometimes not in remote huts
    7. Routes in German-speaking part of Switzerland are well-marked. Not so well-marked in French-speaking part of the country. You can buy topo maps in all small villages
    8. CHF, particularly in remote areas. For those that do take Euros you will get a very unfavorable exchange rate and always get change in CHF. Also, they will only take bills, not coins.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 August 2012 at 20:31:48 #836929

Kim,

Thank you very much for your response. Seems like I should not carry my tent and save some area and weight.

Are there places other than huts where I can take a shower and charge my batteries?

Thanks again.

-erhan

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    13 August 2012 at 14:45:55 #836930

Look into youth hostels for lodging, etc along your route. The swiss hostels are a major cut above anywhere else. Clean, safe, they all have showers (shared) and electricity. You can do google searches based on your village end points each day.

• The thread ‘Accommodation along Via Alpina Ulrichen – Vernayaz’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.