Matterhorn/Randa/Leukerbad with our family in July

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 August 2018 at 10:37:49 #817755

Just a summary of our experience as of 29.07.2018.

We rented a car so did not buy a swiss rail pass. Stayed in Leukerbad at les naturelles. 3 kids (8,11,12). We did not prepare as well as perhaps we could have, but we had an awesome time. We always packed lunches (bread , cheese, peanut butter, schinken etc.), i wore the backpack with food / water / juice.

Day1: Leukerbad to Tasch by car. Train from Tasch to Zermatt: Parking $10CHF (i think), $54 CHF, Gondola to Kleine Matterhorn: $330 CHF. (2 adults @ $110, 2 kids at $55, 8 yr. old free). *** Bring passports to verify ages, bring sweaters for hike and don’t forget sunscreen.

Hiked at base of matterhorn (last gondola stop before the top), each picture was better than the next: Took about 3 hrs. All kids made it. One of the highlights of the trip. Saw bighorn sheep, collected rocks, even chanced the stream water to taste. Smiles and views i will try never to forget.

Day2: Leukerbad to Randa by car. Parking at rail station $7CHF ( i think), free hike to suspension bridge. Gorgeous hike up about 1000m. Treacherous hike down. 4hrs. Kids stopped multiple times on way up. I wore the pack with food / water / juice. *** bring good shoes with hard soles if possible for better control on hike.

Leukerbad: The main bath with the water slides. Fun, but nothing special, many pools to swim around in. We did it once. No more than 3 hours is necessary. Cost around $100CHF for the 3 hours. Nice to have a place to relax after the hike.

Switzerland is extremely expensive, but we enjoyed every minute of it!

goodbye until next time and thanks for the last minute help and advice from this forum.

phdtrucker

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 August 2018 at 15:11:31 #893664

Thanks phdtrucker!

Sounds like a good trip and nice to hear about an area we don’t hear much about (Leukerbad). Great tips!

Happy travels!

• The thread ‘Matterhorn/Randa/Leukerbad with our family in July’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.