Meals on the Gotthard Express boat Lake Luzern

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
jmaddox1
jmaddox1
21 posts
Apr 19, 2017 - 3:55 PM

I know there is a restaurant on board this boat, but is there any alternative such as sandwiches? I see there are snacks that can be bought, but what does that mean? Is there any substantial food items?

Lucas
Lucas
10496 posts
top member
Apr 19, 2017 - 4:51 PM in reply to jmaddox1

Hi jmaddox1,

From what I recall there is no substantial food on the boat outside the restaurant (assuming you are avoiding that). I would grab some sandwiches etc. at the local Migros or Coop grocery stores before boarding.

Lucas

jmaddox1
jmaddox1
21 posts
Apr 19, 2017 - 10:08 PM in reply to Lucas

Thank you Lucas. Can't decide what we will do yet. Have table reservations but still undecided.

rockoyster
rockoyster
5006 posts
expert
Apr 20, 2017 - 9:21 PM

Hi jmaddox1,

How did you get the table reservation?

jmaddox1
jmaddox1
21 posts
Apr 20, 2017 - 11:11 PM in reply to rockoyster

reservation@lakelucerne.ch

Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
Apr 21, 2017 - 1:28 AM in reply to jmaddox1

>> I know there is a restaurant on board this boat, but is there any alternative such as sandwiches? I see there are snacks that can be bought, but what does that mean? Is there any substantial food items?

I see you are familiar with the Vierwaldstättersee/Lake Lucerne boat site, so have you seen the gastronomy page, which has downloadable menus?

www.lakelucerne.ch/en/ gastronomy/

I am not 100% sure about this, but the way I read it, a boat will have either a restaurant service or a snacks service, but not both. Which service any particular boat offers is indicated by either a "crossed knife and fork" symbol or a "wine glass" symbol in the timetable, the knife and fork indicating a restaurant, the wine glass indicating a snacks service.

From my observation, people eating in the onboard restaurant focus their attention on their dining companions and the food, and end up paying little attention to the views ;) The restaurant is not usually the best place for seeing the views anyway!

Personally, I prefer to have food I can take with me when I move around the boat to enjoy the views, whether it is purchased before departure or on board.

Alpenrose

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019