Mid-range hotels for Thun & Lugano

• CabinJon
    Participant
    280 posts
    5 September 2022 at 21:05:53 #828271

My wife and I will be in Switzerland for 2 weeks at the beginning of October. Although we’ll be staying mostly in Zurich & Lucerne, we are going to spend at least one night in Thun & another in Lugano. Any recommendations for moderate priced hotels in those towns?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    6 September 2022 at 8:58:37 #946529

Hi CabinJon,

Hotel Krone in the heart of Thun looks great and affordable. You can find other hotel recommendations for Thun here: http://www.myswissalps.com/thun/hotels

In Lugano, the Hotel Nassa Garni is centrally located. Right along the pedestrian shopping street and close to the lake promenade. You can view other hotel options here: http://www.myswissalps.com/lugano/hotels

Regards,

Anna

CabinJon
    Participant
    280 posts
    6 September 2022 at 11:20:42 #946530

Thanks Anna!

StevefromHou
    Participant
    148 posts
    6 September 2022 at 15:55:17 #946531

Hello CabinJon,

I would like to point out that Lugano has an upper part and a lower part connected with a funicular or stairs (lots). My experience when staying one night in Lugano was booking a night at the Continental Parkhotel Lugano, it is located right at the end of the passenger platform just a short walk across the parking lot. This keeps you close to the train station and prevents you from dragging you luggage up and down the funicular.

Hope this helps

CabinJon
    Participant
    280 posts
    6 September 2022 at 17:03:17 #946532

Steve,

Thanks, that is definitely a practical consideration. Much appreciated. When (if) you were there, did you by any chance dip your toe into Italy? If so, any advice or tips? My wife wants to visit Lake Como while in the vicinity.

StevefromHou
    Participant
    148 posts
    6 September 2022 at 19:03:57 #946533

I walked along the waterfront in Lugano and went to one of the boat docks and purchased a ticket to ride around the lake. I don’t remember what I paid but went around the lake to several other docks just enjoying the view, I think it lasted about 2 hours. I also walked over to one of the funiculars that went to the top of San Salvatore. I enjoy riding the trains in Europe and both times I was in Lugano was just for overnight visits. First visit was after taking the Bernina Express to Tirano and then Bernina Express bus to Lugano which dropped us off at the train station and just rolled my suitcase over to the Continental Parkhotel Lugano and then leaving on the Gotthard Panorama Express the next morning. My second visit to Lugano was another overnight visit after coming up from Milan and again taking the Gotthard Panorama Express the next morning. My second visit I stayed in Hotel Splendide Royal Lugano because Continental was doing construction and they moved me to their sister property. It was a nice hotel also but used a Taxi to get to and from train station.

I have not ventured over to Lake Como yet…I may have to go back.

During the beginning of the pandemic I went thru my photos and short video clips and created videos of my trips, some people have said they where helpful in their planning. I opened an account on Rumble and added them there.

rumble.com/c/European_Travels

Steve

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 September 2022 at 5:58:49 #946534

Hi CabinJon,

If you are in Lugano it is easy to go to Lake Como, you can travel by bus or train, depending on where you want to go), and it is just a short 30-45 mins ride.

Ildiko

MySwissAlps.com recommends reading this: http://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/italy

Ildiko

• The thread ‘Mid-range hotels for Thun & Lugano’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.