Milan to interlaken and Jungfrau

• Prasun09
    Participant
    65 posts
    7 September 2015 at 10:48:24 #807894

HiiHi everyone,

I’m from India and I’m planning my first trip to a European country with my dad. Its a business trip. My dad and I are staying in milan for 5-6 days. Within this I’m planning for a 2 days trip to jungfrau near interlaken.

First I want to know whether jungfrau is worth visiting or not, or is there another place more beautiful then jungfrau. I’m going there just to get some mountain views and activities.

Second can you pls suggest how can I arrange my train or bus trip from milan to jungfrau . I want this trip to be cheap and safe. I don’t wanna spend too much money on train getting 1 st class tickets until if its worth it.

So pls suggest me guys what are the places to visit there and pls do tell me about what are the train or euro or youth passes should I purchase and are are there any tourist discount ? Also are there any place in Switzerland which is more beautiful then jungfrau and which requires less changing of trains.Remember its my 1 st trip to European, countries, so pls let me know everything.

Thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    8 September 2015 at 10:48:08 #845998

Hi Prasun09, welcome to MySwissAlps!

Good to hear you’re planning a trip to Switzerland from Milan. Let me start by saying that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. The Jungfraujoch trip is quite expensive but really impressive. I find it worth it, but others may feel other excursions are better value for money. I’d suggest to have a look at our activities section and see what you like best.

Zermatt is not that far from Milan, so that’s an alternative. Another option is a round trip by the Glacier Express and Bernina Express, although I don’t know when your trip will be.

Once you have a plan you can look into rail passes or tickets.

Our planning section will be a good help too.

Prasun09
    Participant
    65 posts
    10 September 2015 at 8:08:45 #845999

Hi i Arno.

thanks for your reply. I’m going to milan on 12th nov for 5-6 days for business purpose with dad. In between I decided to take 2 days out of my schedule and go to some nearby place. I want to get some good mountain view, that’s how I wanna spend those 2 days. I’m willing to shell upto 400 euros . So is it enough . I decided I will spend the night travelling in train to another city , that’s how I can save my hotel expenses for those 2 nights. I hv heard about bernian express trip and I’m planning for that. But I haven’t heard about zermatt, is it better than bernian express trip??

Also is there any other better alternative than this. I’m travelling to European country for the first time. Also I have heard that visiting jungfrau is not the best thing to do in November. Is it true??? They say it remains cloudy and weather changes problem during November.

So pls do suggest if there’s another great option or a must visit place. I’m not interest in seeing cities like Venice n all. I want to see the natural beauty.

Prasun09
    Participant
    65 posts
    11 September 2015 at 5:55:28 #846000

Hi i Arno

I have a query regarding bernian express or glacier express. I want to know exactly what is the bernian express trip. Can I take this bernian express from milan. I want to see the mountain view. Can you suggest where should I go from bernian express, I’m planning a 2-3 day trip to Switzerland. Also can we take just take the bernian express trip with our back packs and come back to milan without staying in Switzerland.

Prasun09
    Participant
    65 posts
    11 September 2015 at 14:46:36 #846001

Hii

i want to know how can complete the bernian express excursion from milan in one day. I want to go till chur and come back again to milan. I don’t wanna stay in switzerland. Is there a direct train from chur to milan after I drop at chur in the evening .

Annika
    7116 posts
    11 September 2015 at 14:52:23 #846002

Hi Prasuno9,

Please note that there are no night trains in Switzerland. So if you plan to spend some nights there, you’d better look for affordable hotels.

For a 2 to 3 day stay, the Bernina Express can definitely be recommended. You could stop near St. Moritz and spend a couple of nights there before heading back. This valley, called the Engadine, is located at a high altitude, and there may already by quite some snow in November (I’m not sure if that appeals to you or not). Alternatively, you can travel straight on to Chur and travel back towards Milan via Andermatt on day 2. You can also extend your stay with a 3rd day by heading for Zermatt first, using the Glacier Express route. The Glacier Express doesn’t run in November, but you could use regular trains running the same route; it will be a long trip though.

Arno gave you the links to our Glacier Express and Bernina Express pages. Did you check them out? They describe the routes and ticket options, contain links to the timetables, and so on.

Arno
    15483 posts
    11 September 2015 at 14:55:32 #846003

There’s no direct train from Chur to Milan. You can find all the options in the timetable.

Prasun09
    Participant
    65 posts
    11 September 2015 at 15:01:42 #846004

Hi annika

thanks for your reply. My biggest concern is eurail pass. We are 5-6 people travelling together. I think this rail pass is costing me more . Can I avoid purchasing the rail pass. I’m telling you my schedule pls suggest me. I want to go to milan on 12th nov 2015 because I have to attend an itma event in rho fiera for 3 days . From 15th November I’m planning for a 6-7 days tour near milan. I want to experience the bernian express. Apart from that I want to cover rome in Italy. Can you suggest me how should I proceed with the tour. Rome can be optional. I want to see the natural beauty. I’m not interested in spending the time in cities watching museum or arts.

so pls suggest how should I proceed and plan my tour. I have heard nov is bad for Switzerland as everything is closed during this month.

Arno
    15483 posts
    11 September 2015 at 15:19:14 #846005

Hi Prasun09,

You don’t need a Eurail Pass just for the trip to Switzerland. But since you have a bigger trip in mind, I’d suggest to first finalize your itinerary. You can only select a pass once you know where you’ll be traveling (see here).

Not everything is closed in November, but many cable cars are, and some hotels may close too because it’s low season. All of these have websites so you can easily check to be sure.

Please note that we can’t help with traveling in other countries. This website is about Switzerland only. The links we have provided allow you to make a detailed plan. We can provide feedback based on your plan if you wish. It’s up to you now.

Arno

Prasun09
    Participant
    65 posts
    11 September 2015 at 15:22:36 #846006

First I’m going from milan to chur. I will stay there for one or 2 day. Then suggest me how should I spend my 3-4 days in Switzerland.

Arno
    15483 posts
    11 September 2015 at 15:34:28 #846007

I’m sorry but this is quite confusing. You were first planning a two day trip to Switzerland. Less than an hour ago you said you wanted a day trip without staying in Switzerland. Now you’re talking about 3 to 4 days. Again, you have to decide what you want first, then make a detailed itinerary. We’ve given you all the links to get started, or you can use Annika’s suggestion and expand it. We can’t help at this point. It’s all up to you.

Prasun09
    Participant
    65 posts
    21 September 2015 at 18:16:13 #846008

Hii

i was booking tickets from milan to zurich via bernian express. I have a query regarding train timing. I have a train which will leave from milan at around 12.20 and reach tirano at 2.53 pm. I have to cross the building and take another train from the platform. This train will leave at 3 pm, just 7 minutes after reaching. Should I board this 12.20 pm train from milan to tirano or should I take an earlier train. Will the bernian express train wait which is suppose to leave by 3pm in case the train from tirano is running late??

also do you have a sight where I can see train timetable from milan to tirano???

Arno
    15483 posts
    22 September 2015 at 5:58:46 #846009

Hi Prasun09,

If the train is on time it won’t be a problem, and I assume the Bernina Express will wait for a few minutes if the train is late. But, no guarantees on that. There’s another train two hours earlier, so if that feels better you can take that train and have lunch in Tirano for example. All trains are in the timetable I gave you in a previous post.

• The thread ‘Milan to interlaken and Jungfrau’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.