Milan to Montreux via Domodossola

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2017 at 12:37:35 #812139

We have purchased the Swiss Travel Pass for our party of five, and will be traveling to Montreux via Milan. When I look at the train schedule from Milan on the 7/29/17, I see a 5:23 route that doesn’t have a transfer. I know I need to only book tickets to Domossola – can I do that for this route?

Also, when I enter Domossola to Montreux, it only shows one possibility (using RailEurope), which seems strange when there are all these routes from Milan to Montreux.

As a side question – considering the 6:23 pm train from Milan – I’m guessing we miss out on some of the scenic views if I select a train that travels part of the way after sunset. Is it worth changing schedules if sunset in Montreux is 9:03 pm, and the train doesn’t arrive until 9:45 pm?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2017 at 16:36:18 #864576

Hi Swissdreamer,

Yes, there are several options from Milan to Montreux – it is best to search the routes on the Swiss railways timetable here.

The 17:23 train does look like the best option – no transfers are always good! You can buy that departure from Milan to Domodossola with one of the ticket providers here.

Then just show your Swiss Travel Pass if asked by the conductor after you reach Domodossola (and the point to point ticket if asked before you reach Domodossola).

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2017 at 20:59:20 #864577

One more question – using RailEurope, if I say I have a rail pass (Swiss Travel Pass), it only presents the option to purchase the semi-flex ticket for $28 (Milan to Montreux). If I say I don’t have a rail pass, and enter Milan to Domodossola, it also presents the cheaper ticket of $13, as well as the semi-flex ticket for $28. Any idea why?

Thanks!

Arno
    15484 posts
    6 June 2017 at 9:55:50 #864578

Hi Swissdreamer,

I checked the page http://www.raileurope.com/eur opean-trains/trenitalia/how-to-book.html for your travel date and saw what you described. I don’t know why they only offer the non-refundable cheaper ticket for Milan to Domodossola and not to Montreux. But this is all you need if you have a Swiss Travel Pass and don’t mind a non-refundable ticket. I noticed you can even select Milan to Montreux with a Swiss Travel Pass and opt for the Semi Flexible ticket for $25 instead of $28.

The only disadvantage to buying a ticket to Domodossola only is that you also have a reserved seat to Domodossola only. However, seat reservations are not common in Switzerland, so the chances of someone booking that seat for the Swiss leg are not big. If it would occur you would need to change to a another seat.

• The thread ‘Milan to Montreux via Domodossola’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.