Milan to Montreux via Domodossola

Milan to Montreux via Domodossola

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Swissdreamer
Swissdreamer
12 posts
Jun 5, 2017 - 12:37 PM

We have purchased the Swiss Travel Pass for our party of five, and will be traveling to Montreux via Milan. When I look at the train schedule from Milan on the 7/29/17, I see a 5:23 route that doesn't have a transfer. I know I need to only book tickets to Domossola - can I do that for this route?

Also, when I enter Domossola to Montreux, it only shows one possibility (using RailEurope), which seems strange when there are all these routes from Milan to Montreux.

As a side question - considering the 6:23 pm train from Milan - I'm guessing we miss out on some of the scenic views if I select a train that travels part of the way after sunset. Is it worth changing schedules if sunset in Montreux is 9:03 pm, and the train doesn't arrive until 9:45 pm?

Lucas
Lucas
3691 posts
expert &
Jun 5, 2017 - 4:36 PM in reply to Swissdreamer

Hi Swissdreamer,

Yes, there are several options from Milan to Montreux - it is best to search the routes on the Swiss railways timetable here.

The 17:23 train does look like the best option - no transfers are always good! You can buy that departure from Milan to Domodossola with one of the ticket providers here.

Then just show your Swiss Travel Pass if asked by the conductor after you reach Domodossola (and the point to point ticket if asked before you reach Domodossola).

Lucas

Swissdreamer
Swissdreamer
12 posts
Jun 5, 2017 - 8:59 PM in reply to Lucas

One more question - using RailEurope, if I say I have a rail pass (Swiss Travel Pass), it only presents the option to purchase the semi-flex ticket for $28 (Milan to Montreux). If I say I don't have a rail pass, and enter Milan to Domodossola, it also presents the cheaper ticket of $13, as well as the semi-flex ticket for $28. Any idea why?

Thanks!

Arno
Arno
9764 posts
expert &
Jun 6, 2017 - 9:55 AM in reply to Swissdreamer

Hi Swissdreamer,

I checked the page www.raileurope.com/eur opean-trains/trenitalia/how-to-book.html for your travel date and saw what you described. I don't know why they only offer the non-refundable cheaper ticket for Milan to Domodossola and not to Montreux. But this is all you need if you have a Swiss Travel Pass and don't mind a non-refundable ticket. I noticed you can even select Milan to Montreux with a Swiss Travel Pass and opt for the Semi Flexible ticket for $25 instead of $28.

The only disadvantage to buying a ticket to Domodossola only is that you also have a reserved seat to Domodossola only. However, seat reservations are not common in Switzerland, so the chances of someone booking that seat for the Swiss leg are not big. If it would occur you would need to change to a another seat.

Last modified on Oct 27, 2017 - 3:47 PM by Arno

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018