Mobile data and WiFi in Switzerland

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 March 2018 at 5:24:28 #877249

Hi rockoyster

“With initial purchase you get the SIM loaded with CHF 20 credits to use” – yes its ridiculous, I pay CHF10 and get CHF20!!! who hoooo!!

Thanks for the clarification as I could not understand the website which did not have “CHF” next to the numbers as well!!!

Need another clarification as I’m not too savvy with phone plans, do I just slip in the SIM card into my phone and my phone number remains the same?

How is the data coverage like based on your experience as I will be going to the mountains (“Climb every mountain….” – motto for 2018) Rigi Kulm, Jungfraujoch, Schilthorn & Matterhorn plus “train-ning” with GEX and BEX ?

Appreciate your advise, always….

Simmy (now on SIM card exploration !)

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    17 March 2018 at 6:01:00 #877250

Hello Simmy,

You need to go to a Salt shop and they will install and fiddle with a few settings.

You will get a Swiss phone number.

If you are on a pre-paid plan where you come from your phone maybe locked to that provider so you need to be sure that is not the case as it will not allow another suppliers SIM to work. If you are on other than a pre-paid plan then you should be fine.

Reception is good almost everywhere. On another thread, I can’t find it quickly, another forum member was sending real-time weather updates from top of Schilthorn or was it Jungfraujoch?

I used it on some trains no problems. You won’t have time on the GEX/BEX – you’ll be glued to the views.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 March 2018 at 6:17:27 #877251

Thanks again rockoyster!

I’m on post paid with my current provider. So hopefully I can just put in the SALT SIM Card and activate.

Yes I remember the other post on SIM card by Uallin, who told us that coverage at Schilthorn was good. However Uallin used a UK based SIM that was purchased from Singapore.

Would u be able to advice if I can buy SALT Prepaid SIM Card from the Zurich Airport or anywhere convenient?

TQ

Sim

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    17 March 2018 at 6:27:05 #877252

There is a Salt shop in Zurich Airport.

You can also find other Salt shops here http://www.salt.ch/en/store-locator/?search=

I’m pretty sure you need to visit one of their shops. I don’t think the SIM is available from their partner stores.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 March 2018 at 6:36:26 #877253

Hi rockoyster

Thanks ! I will look for SALT shop both at Airport and Zurich. I also found out that it only opens at 8am at the Airport hence it may be closed when we arrive ard 6am plus.

Cheers

Sim

Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • The thread ‘Mobile data and WiFi in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.